Barrel length?

coopsdaddy

Gun in question is a fieldcraft,i have a 24 inch but considering trading for a 21 or cutting down.Will be used with factory loads for whtetail and down mainly.Would it really matter much.Shooting non supressed.
Would you rather have a
21 inch #1 barrel
24 inch #2 barrel
20 inch #2 barrel

Gun in question is a fieldcraft,i have a 24 inch but considering trading for a 21 or cutting down.Will be used with factory loads for whtetail and down mainly.Would it really matter much.Shooting non supressed.
Would you rather have a
21 inch #1 barrel
24 inch #2 barrel
20 inch #2 barrel
It boils down to your personal preference, and only you can answer that.

Would it really matter much.
Aside from a minor muzzle velocity decrease using a shorter barrel ... no, doesn't matter.

What end goal or purpose is driving this question? ... would a more compact system make your life easier for some reason? ... trying to shed weight wherever possible? ... if not then I'll echo @FEENIX comment above ... your preference.

Would you rather have a
21 inch #1 barrel
24 inch #2 barrel
20 inch #2 barrel
This shouldn't matter but out of curiosity ... what cartridge is the barrel chambered in?

If I was shooting unsuppressed I'd leave it at 24". If you grabbed a good light suppressor, I'd chop to 18". Suppressed with 24" oal is very comfortable to shoot for me anyway.

It would help to know if you're asking about handiness or difference in velocity. For field handiness shorter will usually be more easy to handle in the field. For velocity, the cartridge will play a role in the fps change. For example, a 308 will not have significant velocity change from a 20" and 24" barrel. Generally, smaller bore diameter cartridges perform better with slower powders and longer barrels. For your 6.5 creed you will probably be fine with a 21" barrel.

Handiness mainly,curious if the little heavier 24 inch barrel had any disadvantages or advantages over the thinner 21 inch barrel if the 24 was cut down to 20-21 inch both unsupressed.

Take into consideration, that a short barrel unsuppressed can get extremely loud. Something to consider as well. I only shoot suppressed now, however, I think sounds should be more important than any velocity loss.

Well i have no plan to run a supressor,not on this gun as to me it defeats the purpose if a mtn rifle,im not paying a premium for lightweight to add more weight to the front.
Typically one shot,maybe two and at the range ill were protection.

The only real advantage I can see if the heavier barrel was cut down to ~21" to match the thinner barrel would be the ability to maintain zero and not walk as much when shooting at the range since the heavier profile will make it a lot stiffer and heat up slower. I bought a 24" 6.5 creedmoor varmint barrel to do a barrel swap on my brother in laws savage. He said it was too long so we cut and recrowned it at 21". He loves it. Muzzle blast and noise is tolerable, even in the field.

Loudness is very subjective, however, I do agree the shorter you go the louder it becomes. I generally prefer 20" or longer to minimize loudness and blast (I have quite a few 20" 308's and love them). I do have two 16" and one 18" 6.5 grendel, and yes you can tell those are louder in the field and at the range. For these ones, if you aren't the driver you'll want to make sure you're somewhere behind them, lol.

The 6.5 Creed, NEEDS,.. ALL, the "Juice" it can, Muster,.. IMO
I Aim to, KEEP My Tikka at, 24" and 2,750 FPS with, 143 gr. ELD-X's for,.. Mule Deer.
I've never had, a problem with, any of, My 24 inch Barrels for sneakin thru, the Woods ( OR for, killin',.. chit ).
SKIP the Suppressor and put that Money, into a GOOD,.. Scope.
Yup,. I know that, the Suppressor,.. IS,.. TRENDY and ya gotta, keep up with, the Jones's ! LOL !

Last edited:
I have a 20" 308 that I use with a suppressor and without.

Also a 16" 243 win.

Both very handy for the woods I hint in.

My next barrel for my RUM will be 22". I am done carrying a pole vault out for hunting.

Nothing wrong with short. Just know velocity loss going in but with the right bullets, you can make up for it. I have found, lighter pills easier to tune FWIW, if shooting factory, consider that.