barrel length

hunter129

what are the factors involved in determining proper barrel length. considering a hunting rifle chambered in .260 rem. would prefer a short 20" barrel. would this length give accuracy to 500yds or would i be better served with longer barrel?

If you are going with an after market barrel then I would go with a 26 in barrel. Not sure if it would burn all the powder in a 20 in but I would emagine it would be close. Only reason I would go with a 26in barrel is because I would think that all powder would be burnt and I like longer barrels because I'm wierd. And I cant free hand a light gun at all, not that heavy guns help me much either but some. Have a nice day and I'm sure people who are more knowledgeable will be able to fill you in more. Have a nice day.

Longer barrel will not add accuracy but will add velocity.Type of powder will make a difference in the length you choose (fast or slower powder).Whom ever builds the rifle will be able to answer all pertenant questions you could have!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts