barrel length-whats good for long range shooting

dirttyt

As I am new to long range shooting, my question is just as the title states, what's best and of course, why? I currently have a savage model 11 bth with a 22" barrel in .308! Any thoughts?

I used to be a believer in "longer is better" (ie 30+ inches). But I'm finding that you can still do alot with a 26-28 incher and it's more ergonomic to get around with when your rifle isn't so dang long.
I'll be honest I've never messed with anything much shorter than 26" in a long range cartridge before.

I actually just got a new 28" 7mm barrel in the mail to replace my 30" 300 RUM with.

Well do you have any input on how far I would accurately be able to put it out there with a 22" barrel??!!

Jarrett rifles used to have an article a long time ago where he opined there was no need for anything longer than 27". I remember thinking at the time I read it that it made some sense even though there will always be those who disagree. The longest rifle bbl I have is 28. I won't ever build a rifle with anything longer. In fact I kind of doubt I'll have one over 27 inches.

Well do you have any input on how far I would accurately be able to put it out there with a 22" barrel??!!
You can put it out there as far as you want so long as you know your ballistics. 22" in a nice carry rifle barrel. I have a 22" PacNor on my 30.06. Any future 30.06s will have the same length. Mine is a #3 sporter and it's fluted.

Jarrett rifles used to have an article a long time ago where he opined there was no need for anything longer than 27". I remember thinking at the time I read it that it made some sense even though there will always be those who disagree. The longest rifle bbl I have is 28. I won't ever build a rifle with anything longer. In fact I kind of doubt I'll have one over 27 inches.

I agree, & disagree :D Running something like a 375CT, you need an UBER slow burning powder, which in turn needs an UBER long bbl to burn said powder. Can you run a 26" bbl on that CT? yup, at the expense of needed velocity. Will any caliber be hurt accuracy wise, with a short barrel? Nope, just going to be slower. I run a 30" barrel on my newest LR rig, but it also weighs 16lbs, this is an ambush type of gun not a packer around (I have & it sucks :rolleyes:). I built this rig for accuracy & velocity at all other costs & that's what I ended up with.

I think of it this way: "The more powder I have to burn, the more barrel I'm going to need to efficiently do that." Will it burn? Yup, after the projectile has left the barrel :D Makes for cool special effects but doesn't help you any.

In reference to your 308, 22" is fine, 20" would be fine & still get you out quite a ways, stability wise. A 308 can do that because it's a short cartridge with a moderate amout of fairly fast burning powder. I don't believe there is a "one bbl length fits all", too many variables.

Just a little different perspective, over generalizing a VERY broad spectrum :D

t

Barrel length has more to do with the combination than anything else. What you need for barrel length is very much dependent on what you want from the rifle, as well as caliber, twist, bullet weight and intended distance you wish to shoot.

My 300 win has a 28" barrel. It is designed to be a long range carry rifle. By long range I mean taking game to 1000 yards or a little beyond and still light enough to pack. It works very well.

My new rifle being built is going to be running at the upper end of the big 338's. It will be sending 300 gr bullets to well past 2500 yards. For that rifle velocity is important and it will be wearing a 32" barrel.

I have seen plenty of 20 to 24" 308's do very well to 1000 yards and beyond for target practice. So your rifle is by no means handicapped with a 22" tube. If it fits your intended purpose. Spend some time matching up the bullet you choose and make your rifle work to the best of it's ability for you.

If you give us some more info on what you want from your rifle maybe we can help you decide the best way to go. Even if that means installing a new barrel. But for a .308 I doubt it will be needed.

Jeff

I'm not a regular long range guy like many on the forums. Not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't have any use for big heavy rifles. I carry all of mine, many times for hours. I've got a 300 RUM and a 7mag that will cleanly shoot well and take game at ranges longer than I can do, but I'd readily shoot at 800-1100 yards with either. I have a 338-300 RUM on the way. Barrel by Hart, #6, fluted, and 28" plus a brake.

There have been very few occasions where I'd be able to set up a 15+ pound rifle not far from the truck and hunt from that spot.

There have been very few occasions where I'd be able to set up a 15+ pound rifle not far from the truck and hunt from that spot.

It is a bit different out here, and I will admit my 338 is for special business. I have packed my 16lb rifle in my Eberlestock pack before many times. Last time was after a wolf and I went up 2 1/2 miles one way. Not that far but we gained 2000 feet of alt. in that distance. At 53 years old I don't care to do it often, but I will when I think it will shine. The extra 15 or 20 lbs. of fat I carry these days bothers me way more than an extra 4 or 5 lbs. of rifle weight that will enhance the long range accuracy of any rifle.:)

But this thread was about length anyway, not weight, even though they do go hand in hand.

Jeff

Sorry guys I got pulled away from the convo!! Thanx for all the info! I will be using .308 for targets, steel, paper, ect.. my main concern was would it reach out there accurately with a shorty on it, and I think you answered it!! The answer would be yes, right?

Sorry guys I got pulled away from the convo!! Thanx for all the info! I will be using .308 for targets, steel, paper, ect.. my main concern was would it reach out there accurately with a shorty on it, and I think you answered it!! The answer would be yes, right?

The short answer is yes. Your 308 doesn't necessarily need 26+" to achieve maximum powder burn. There isn't that much capacity in the case. Your 22"er will do just fine, provided you match the proper bullet with you intended use. If I were shooting a .308 & wanted consistent results in the LR arena, +500-600yds I would NOT be shooting a 168. A 175 is going to work well & I had always thought the 185 Berger would do a darn decent job as well.

Match your boolet to what you want to do & shoot the hell out of it.

t

Thanx again! Any info I can gather is great! As I said I am new to the lr sport and I am tryin to put the pieces together!! As I have said in the past, this site is great and everybody is very helpful!! Can't wait to go shoot the the hell out of it!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.