Barrel length & twist questions

The reason for my comment was that I love 30.06 and had a 28" barrel light contour for hunting years ago when I was still wet behind the ears. I learned the hard way about harmonics when I missed a shot on a 10 point buck. The 7mm magnum is a great round and depending on your load that round will maintain supersonic velocity up to 1500 meters. The shorter barrel is an accurate barrel used for hunting because it cuts down on weight but accuracy may falter with the long barrel you want. Maybe a heavy shorter would be more ideal as 27" is still very long. Good luck on your endeavor.

Last edited:
Sorry technically it's a sporter contour on a browning xbolt stainless stalker with a 26' barrel. So there shouldn't be any issues with whip going to a 27'. I hope lol!
my thoughts on this are as follows shooting long distance you will be dialing elevation so if you have to dial one more moa or mil or what ever it may be its not a big deal the extra barrel length and small increase in velocity is not going to prevent dialing but a shorter barrel will help with barrel whip (harmonics) if I was using a sporter weight barrel I would go 24 inches 25 tops This does not guarantee a more accurate rifle as there are no guarantees but I believe it will help

Thanks for your info, and yes finding the harmonics of your rifle can be very challenging but extremely rewarding when you do. The bullets I reload actually perform better & more accurately the farther you get out, providing you have the ability to shoot long range with your equipment. There has been times where I have shot tighter groups at 900 yards then I did at 400 yards. I look fwd to finding the harmonics on this next project. Thanks for your help & comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.