Barrel length questions!

I would go with a short 308 and 101 grn hammer hunter almost zero recoil and will kill anything on four legs out to 400 yds . I have a 7mag that I'm working on a mild load for the hammer 113 grn bullet for my daughter she's 15 and is under a half moa with the Sierra 125 grn at 300 yds but I think I can pump up the velocity with the 113 and not induce more recoil until she's ready for it I have a 100 rounds of 168 bergers loaded for it that shoot amazing but the recoil is to much for her to shoot consistently right now unfortunately.

Ok looks like I am about to start getting together components to build my wife a rifle.
The rifle will be a shorter/lighter build so that it's easy for her to handle, I will list the components I am thinking then ask the questions.

LH M700 Mag bolt face
Proof Carbon 22" sendaro light
Timmney trigger
Will do a Watt bottom metal

Thinking about 6.5 PRC or a 270 WSM

Question I have is what grain bullet should I be thinking about with the shorter barrel, this is not a long range rig max hunting range would be 400 yds

I don't know why the 150ish 6.5s and the 170 270s peak my interest but since it's not a long range rifle and a shorter barrel I may need a lighter bullet weight.

Thanks for your opinions and information.
My wife has a bunch of rifles that I can "grab and go!" Many she doesn't even realize she has!

I know you like the over the counter ammo...make a list so you dont forget your ammo...then build her a 6.5-06 (my wife has one :cool:) I liked "her's" so much I built one for myself.

She is the only one of us to have shot anything with both of them! She used mine on the 4th of July weekend to shoot her Aoudad at 381 yards!

Although the 6.5 PRC is pretty sweet. Shot a buddies a couple weeks ago with factory ammo...unreal accuracy!

Can't go wrong with the 6.5-06. Got 2 and 2 in 6.5-06AI. All lefties. Looking forward to trying the Barnes 127 grain LRX this year.

If you are looking for a rifle w a short barrel you are waisting powder with the 270 and 6.5 PRC... go with a 6.5 cm in a 20" barrel or a 308 down to 16"... if you go to 16" you may be stuck w 168s due to velocity. If it were me I would go with a 20" barrel in 308 and the ELDX 178s.

my JP LRP07 16" barrel gets 2450 FPS with 168s... I have killed mule Deer and cow elk just under 500 Yards and they drop like a rock.

260, 7-08 or 308 get my vote and run a 20-22" barrel with her choice of stock. The 65prc wouldn't be a bad choice either just not my top one.

I'm in the 7mm-08 camp. Light on recoil, short barrel no problem, ample power to do the job. I know of at lease 4 ladies just around here that hunt with that cartridge.

Heck inside of 400 yards my .257AI is a deer stomper. Recoil is virtually non-existent and I can load 75gr varmint rounds all the way to 120grs. Pretty versatile round.

The plain Jane 117gr bullets leave a pretty big hole for a little 1/4 bore.
MVpS1jJ.jpg

I do thank everyone of there opinions! All opinions were noted and taken in consideration.
I have a lot to learn about how barrel length effects round performances(not just speed) and how powder burn rates will effect performance in correlation with barrel length.

Thanks again for the info

good luck with your choice. I've killed more whitey's with a .257 or .257AI than any other rifle I own. When I lived back in WV that was a favorite cartridge among hunters. I even sold my old neighbor on it- he got two .257 Bobs for his daughters.

I do thank everyone of there opinions! All opinions were noted and taken in consideration.
I have a lot to learn about how barrel length effects round performances(not just speed) and how powder burn rates will effect performance in correlation with barrel length.

Thanks again for the info

Good luck and let us know what you both decide to do.

God bless and stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.