Barrel length questions!

Great info! Yes I am not stuck on a magnum just that was first two that came to my mind, also really like the 6.5-284 but was thinking if we were in a pinch then the 6.5 PRC or the 270 WSM I could pick up ammo at a store. And we are both left handed so......her rifle would be a very nice and handy light gun to grab and go :) but it will primarily be "her's"

So it's really your rifle, she's just the excuse to put it together ? Lol:p

170 gr in the 270wsm can reward you, however it is going to be a real handful in a light short rifle. Last one I shot was set up for really long range. Had a great break and a 26" barrel. Really good shooters needed good form. Really snappy impulse. 10 rounds was about my limit.
Couple of the guys that built similar rifles ended up backing down to the 150 class bullets with H4350 because the launch dynamics were so much easier to handle if you were out of position or your form wasn't perfect.

Understand you don't want a 6.5 CM, but what does your wife want? Do you have a buddy or 3 who would let her shoot 2 or 3 different calibers without her knowing which was which and then ask her for her favorite? It won't be quite that easy with stock differences, optics etc. but you know what I mean - kind of a blind test for her preference. I'd suggest yet another 'old' caliber to 400 yards that would be in a light rifle, the .243 with a nice 3x9 scope. Ammo is available and in many size bullets.... A friend's mother shot the biggest elk either of us has ever seen with one, if you are considering how powerful this rifle needs to be. Just some more input for your consideration - let us know what you end up doing:)

Wow All excellent Information given to you! I love my Weatherby Ultra light rifle , with its S S , 24 inch Krueger bbl. in 270 Win! 5 3/4 pounds Empty , add 12 Ounces for The Leupold 2.5 To 8 Vx 3, ! I am totally Happy With 130 Grn Nosier ballistic tip , at 3050 FPS , for Whitetail deer in West Virg. This year I will See how well it works on Big Western Kentucky bucks! Changed the Scope to a 4.5 to 14 Leupold VX3 , Changed the Zero to 200 yards , not Touching the Load ! I'll I Think you could shorten the Stock Modify The comb to Suit your Wife !!

Ok looks like I am about to start getting together components to build my wife a rifle.
The rifle will be a shorter/lighter build so that it's easy for her to handle, I will list the components I am thinking then ask the questions.

LH M700 Mag bolt face
Proof Carbon 22" sendaro light
Timmney trigger
Will do a Watt bottom metal

Thinking about 6.5 PRC or a 270 WSM

Question I have is what grain bullet should I be thinking about with the shorter barrel, this is not a long range rig max hunting range would be 400 yds

I don't know why the 150ish 6.5s and the 170 270s peak my interest but since it's not a long range rifle and a shorter barrel I may need a lighter bullet weight.

Thanks for your opinions and information.
Hello all. Im new to this forum. I would say if you plan on magnum caliber over a standard, id lean more toward a 24 inch barrel over the 22. Alot of your slower burning magnum powders need that little extra barrel to burn up that powder for appropriate speeds.

Hi, my wife and kids love the 6.5x284. With no muzzle brake and a light weight rifle it is a great combination (super low recoil, not too loud, easy to carry, super accurate). 22 inch barrel Shoot 120 grain Barnes 2900 FPS. Downside is that it is hard to find factory ammo.

Hi, my wife and kids love the 6.5x284. With no muzzle brake and a light weight rifle it is a great combination (super low recoil, not too loud, easy to carry, super accurate). 22 inch barrel Shoot 120 grain Barnes 2900 FPS. Downside is that it is hard to find factory ammo.

Are you intentionally loading them that slow? I ask because I run 124 Hammers at 2950 out of my 22" 6.5 CM

The glass will be a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 firedot.

And yes this is turning into an amazing thread for great information!! I think y'all so much!

Yes I will probably shoot this rifle more then she will, and yes I am about 40% building it for me as much as for her.

I do not want a 6mm/243, she currently has a 25-06 so I was looking for something a lil larger in caliber. Looked at a 7mm SAUM since my dad shoots a 7mm rem Mag and his wife shoots a 7WSM, I have the pills already to reload and most of the powder we would shoot. My wife can handle a 6.5 PRC with a break with no issue, she will be shooting no further then 275 but I want to be able to go 400-500 if I want. She will be in a nice 4x6 box stand with nice chairs and a nice Window shooting bag.

.243, 6/6.5CM, .260 (my personal favorite deer rifle).

I don't see anything you're gaining over her 25-06. The .270WSM is just overkill for deer. The 6.5PRC is interesting but finding ammo isn't going to be easy. Same for the 6.5-.284.

Ok looks like I am about to start getting together components to build my wife a rifle.
The rifle will be a shorter/lighter build so that it's easy for her to handle, I will list the components I am thinking then ask the questions.

LH M700 Mag bolt face
Proof Carbon 22" sendaro light
Timmney trigger
Will do a Watt bottom metal

Thinking about 6.5 PRC or a 270 WSM

Question I have is what grain bullet should I be thinking about with the shorter barrel, this is not a long range rig max hunting range would be 400 yds

I don't know why the 150ish 6.5s and the 170 270s peak my interest but since it's not a long range rifle and a shorter barrel I may need a lighter bullet weight.

Thanks for your opinions and information.
The 270 will kick the hell out of her with that 170 gr. 130 is better.

I just bought my wife a Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08, worked up a load with 145 gr Barnes LRX and put a Viper Vortex 4-16X44 HST with custom turrets on it. Shoots sub MOA and the whole package costs $1550.00. She loves it and slayed the plains game in Africa last May/Jun...all one shot kills out to 225 yds. She also has .257 Wby in Mark V rifle and a SAKO Finnbear in 7mm Rem Mag. She just wanted something lighter and handier with less noise and recoil. Done.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.