Barrel length on new build?

MSLRHunter

Looking for advice on barrel length for a new long range hunting rifle build. It will be built on a Rem 700 in 300 win mag. Should I go with a 24 or 26 inch barrel? I do reload, and the gun will only be used for long range whitetail deer hunting. Just curious to see what barrel length you guys prefer for hunting.

Do you plan to carry the rifle? or just set it up "here" and shoot over "there"?

If you plan to carry the rifle, 24 or 26" would be good and I would lean more towards 26.

If you plan on just setting up and shooting, the 300win mag would benefit from a 28 or 30" tube.

MSLRHunter, welcome to the site. I have been faced with this exact problem on a 300 WM that I am rebarreling. For me, I wanted a lightweight carry rifle for long days, but I didn't want to go too light and lose accuracy. I bought a Broughton 4.1 contour, just a little heavier than a factory 700 and plan to finish it at 25-26" I know I'll get a little more velocity out of the 26, but will probably go with the 25 to keep it a little shorter. I plan on shooting 180's in the 3000-3050 range.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts