Barrel length on AR15/10

clemens

just out of curiosity has anyone here ever put a long barrel on there AR-platform say in 24-26" length. I realize prob not real useable considering the platform. Just remembered a member in the photo section I believe had spare parts laying around and put a rifle together one evening. I believe it had a 26" barrel.

I know DPMS actually offers a 24" barreled factory rig, along with other brands I'm sure.

As far as 26"+ goes, I'm sure somebody has done it, But you're right, it really isn't necessary on an AR-15 because it can't be chambered in any REALLY hot cartridges that would need such a long tube for good performance.

The exception would probably be the Olympic Arms guns chambered in the WSSM's, OSSM and .22-250. They'd benefit from longer barrels if Olympic arms would produce them.

Clemens,

Yes, they're perfectly usable on ARs, and will add some decent velocity to the 223s. Doesn't take a larger cartridge to "use" a longer barrel. we're talking about changing expansion ratios here, and increasing barrel length will benefit almost all centerfire bottlenecked cases. I use a 26" on one of my Match rifles (a Spacegun, as rhino suggested), and it adds a noticable velocity advantage over my 20" Service Rifles. You can get into issues on an AR about how well the receiver supports such a long barrel if it becomes too heavy, but ballistically, it's an advantage all the way across the board.

The flip side is true as well. The M4s, with their 14.5" (and even shorter) barrels are lighter, easier to handle and faster to employ than their 20" M16 counterparts, but they lose out ballistically. Less velocity, less energy, reduced terminal performance on the receiving end. Again, it's all just a matter expansion ratios vs. handling characteristics.

i have a 24" on my rock river and i am get 3016 feet per second with a 60 grain bullet, with the same load out of a 20" it only gets about 2800. that does not really matter out to 200 yards but past that the faster bullet makes things a lot better for drop and wind corrections. they both shoot .5 groups at 100 yards.

Clemens, it really boils down to how you want to use it. No, a long barrel ain't easy to move fast and for short range work, hardly an advantage. But, if you're a match shooter or long range shooter, a long, heavier barrel is what I deem as necessary. I have four with 26" tubes and they are super accurate. Two are heavies and two are mid weights. I also have 24s and even a 16 inch in 300 Blackout. Each has it's niche in its usefulness.

just out of curiosity has anyone here ever put a long barrel on there AR-platform say in 24-26" length. I realize prob not real useable considering the platform. Just remembered a member in the photo section I believe had spare parts laying around and put a rifle together one evening. I believe it had a 26" barrel.
Longer barrels are VERY usable with the AR platform. Just remember there is no free lunch. For everything you get you will give something in return. The shorter barrels are quite handy. The longer barrels give speed the shorter barrels can't. Mine sports your typical 20 inch barrel and works very well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.