Barrel length and weight issues

msalm

I was going to ressurect an old thread from back in Aug where you all helped me decide how to spend some $ on a new long range toy but I've got all the stuff together and I only need a little more input.

Here's what I have, Nesika single shot action, McM HTG stock with adjustable comb, Leu MK 4 6.5-20X50 with TMR reticle and barrels out the wahzoo.

I initially was offered a 28" Rock blank .338 1-10 that I was going to use for my 338 Edge build and was always 'pining' for a bit longer tube.

Well I was over at my buddies (he happens to do a lot of business with Rock) and laying in the corner was a big tube. He showed it to me and said 'I'll make you a hell of a deal on this barrel'. So now I have a 31" Rock barrel in 338 with a 1-9.75" twist. It is a HEAVY tube, right around 1" at the muzzle I believe...maybe .950.

Here's my question. What do I do with it??? Turn to a lighter contour or flute it? It will be 30", although I was considering cutting off 1" on the chamber end and 1/2-3/4" on the muzzle but the allure of the 30" tube has me in a quandry.

What say you?

I've already fit a 300RUM Rock barrel on the rifle, and have a 30" Krieger take-off (6.5) in great shape I was planning on chambering and fitting to it also in 264 Win Mag. I know I'll be sticking with the 338, but I was thinking the same rifle would be usefull as a walking gun for mule deer and antelope reamed to 264 Mag and if elk wasn't on the menu I'd switch it over for a season. The 300 RUM was a 'just because'. Mike Rock gave me a returned bbl. Nothing wrong with the rifling, but the bore had a LOT of runout. I indexed it so the curve went up and it should give me some extra vertical. It was free and a good experiment, plus it might shoot great.

Anyway, I'll have to get some accurate weights of things. I was shooting for sub 15lbs all up. Do you prefer fluting or recontouring? What weight would you want for a 30" 338 barrel and complete rifle?

If it were me that barrel would finish at 29" as I cut 1" from both the muzzel and shank so that I'm not reading on an over sized section from lapping , I use 1" but 1/2" is probably fine.
I would then send the barrel back to Mike and have him max flute it and relap it ,on a barel that fat he can probaly take a pound out of it.

When it goes together , use a titanium brake , use aluminum rings and bases and have the stock "lightned" McMillan stock are pretty haevy and can shed a good bit of weight in non critical areas.

You might want to cantact Dave from Versico that is a member here he build some very light rifles in big calibers and may be able to give you some more insite

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.