barrel issues at 200 rounds????

tobacco road

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding a new barrel. I have a 6.5 stw a 28"hart1-8 twist shooting 140gr. Bergers at 3450fps. Accuracy was never a problem until the past few weeks. I'm getting close to 2"groups at 100 yards, I was having a 150 fps diviation problem but now that that is worked out I'm still shooting horrible groups?!?!?! Yeah I know I'm shooting an over bore round but I only have about 200 rounds down the tube. Is it possible my throat is already eroded that bad?? I cannot get my hands on a bore scope to get to the bottom of this but my scope mounts are tight and I do every possible to prep my brass I'm seating bullets .0010 off lands. I hear people mention getting special barrels to shoot berger bullets like ratcheting 3 grove and what not can someone give the run down on what works best for bergers at somewhat the velocity I'm at? In case I need to re barrel.

Play with seating depth & look at different bullets. I have had too many train wrecks with Bergers. Very accurate but not a hunting bullet. No penetration.
Thanks, Kirk

I have grown to appreciate Berger bullets. So, inasmuch as your working on a problem with accuracy and not a penetration issue, allow me to offer you encouragement to work with those bullets while offering an idea or two.
In my experience, Berger VLDs with longer tapers seem to like being seated either very close to or in the lands. Berger's web site has some insight on that idea and it might help you to take a look if you haven't already. (*)
As an alternative, see what difference Sierra MK bullets make; compare them with the Bergers.
The other issue is the caliber of the rifle and the reported experiences with extremely short barrel life for the 6.5s. Even though I seriously doubt you've worn out the barrel at this early point in its use, it would be worth your while to gain access to a bore scope or a gunsmith to take a look and see what the throat erosion factor is.

(*) That doesn't mean you shouldn't see what a bit of "jump" might do to improve your situation. Clean it, scope it, recheck the OAL, and start from scratch. If you just try this and that without some formal process and good record keeping you'll be chasing ghosts and wasting a lot of ammunition.

Last edited:
What powder are you shooting? A fast powder with an overbore round can eat your throat quickly but I doubt that's the problem with only 200 rounds down the barrel. Try some other bullets like Catahoula suggested and see what happens. Some other good options are 140gr A-MAXs and 142gr SMKs. The SMKs may not shoot well at those velocities though. I know my Dad ran into erratic results with 190 SMKs in his .300WBY at 3200fps but 190gr Hornady BTSPs and old Winchester 190 Match bullets shoot great. Tinker around a little with the Bergers and see if you get any improvement, if not try the other bullets I suggested. Good luck, hope this helps!

Thank you guys for all the info in any way. I am using 50bmg. I just tries the new nosler 129gr. Lra. And exact same result. One low one high. One right. I had a 3fps diviation that go round, witch I know dosent mean much if the powder/bullet combo isn't right but I haven't changed powders...I just re mounted my scope and I'm trying the bergers again tomorrow...note the only thing I can think of that I changed is mixed 6lbs of powder into one container? Which I thought would help lot to lot

I cannot get my hands on a bore scope to get to the bottom of this but my scope mounts are tight and I do every possible to prep my brass I'm seating bullets .0010 off lands.

You obviously know how to check setting bullets off the lands. I would re-check that first to see where it is now, that'll give you a pretty good guess to see if you have throat erosion.

Are you comfortable with your barrel cleaning methods - with only 200 rounds down the pipe my first guess would be a badly copper or carboned up barrel?

.0010 off the lands is 1/1000th. Never have got Bergers to shoot that close to the lands out of a hunting barrel.

If nothing else works try polishing the throat . Maybe it's a bit rough.

A 6.5 STW is a lot of horsepower. Maybe look into the 160 Matrix. It may work better to go as heavy as possible with that slow burning powder.

I agree with the sentiment that the throat probably needs maintenance.
I'm amazed the bullets are staying together. Must be thicker jacket target VLDs.

Personally, I wouldn't put a lot of effort into a barrel with a cartridge known to produce nothing for barrel life. But if you're set on this cartridge, I'd get a new barrel finished and melonite treated for it.

I use a bore guide with nylon brushes. And use blue wonder solvent. With dewy nylon cleaning rod.

Personally I hate Dewey rods, but that's just me. I would buy a couple good jags, and run some very tight patches thru it. If they come out black, you may be seeing a carbon fouled barrel. My guess would be copper fouling. That's a lot of velocity for a .264 diameter, and we may be seeing a copper melt down from friction alone.

Hart makes a very fine barrel, and think he uses 17ph4. I seriously doubt you've lost the throat already. I'd hunt up somebody with a Hawkeye bore scope. Never ever use a metal brush!! A nylon brush is better, but a good quality jag and a series of patches is far better. You want the stiffest cleaning rod money can buy, and use it with a good bore guide. Before going any further, I'd spend a night cleaning that barrel instead of watching The Big Bang Theory on the tube.
gary

Personally I hate Dewey rods, but that's just me. I would buy a couple good jags, and run some very tight patches thru it. If they come out black, you may be seeing a carbon fouled barrel. My guess would be copper fouling. That's a lot of velocity for a .264 diameter, and we may be seeing a copper melt down from friction alone.

Hart makes a very fine barrel, and think he uses 17ph4. I seriously doubt you've lost the throat already. I'd hunt up somebody with a Hawkeye bore scope. Never ever use a metal brush!! A nylon brush is better, but a good quality jag and a series of patches is far better. You want the stiffest cleaning rod money can buy, and use it with a good bore guide. Before going any further, I'd spend a night cleaning that barrel instead of watching The Big Bang Theory on the tube.
gary

Who makes a good cleaning rod? And do you use s.s or nylon for The rod I have a stout one but it's s.s

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.