Barrel heat

Kaboom

I'm wondering does anyone have a temp. they feel is the max they would let their barrel see in continued fire. I have a new Rem VSS in .308 bull barrel no flutes that I bought for match/varmit shooting. I have a thermal temp gun and thought I'd use that to know when to quit if I had a temp for a referance. BTW My gun loves the Barnes 175 Match Burners 210GM 43.5 Varget @ 2.98 COL one ragged .75 hole at 200 10 shots if I can do my job! Thanks for any help!!!
Timgun)

Nimrodmar10

I've always heard if you can't hold your hand on the hotest spot forward of the chamber, it's too hot. I use this rule, especially while shooting prairie dogs. You can burn out a match barrel pretty quick on an AR-15 if you don't watch the temp. Use your temp. gun to see what that temperature is.

Kaboom

That's about what I did, but I'd like a temp from someone maybe a barrel maker or gunsmith..... Everyone also has a different threshold for heat tolerance, I being a welder by trade have a high heat tolerance in my hands not saying that 50 degrees would make a differance but maybe. I just kinda did a test and I can pretty much hold onto something in the 175-95 range but I would think that wouldn't be too hot for a barrel....anyone?