Barrel Harmonics Testing

Boy, I'm going to hear a ton of feed back on this, I use to make golf clubs from persimmon wood, I shoot a bunch, have a EC turner and it's assume. This is what might ruffle feathers, they have lead tape, it's about 1/2 Wide with self sticking backing , You can experiment with it, cut a little strip in half, make it about 1/4'" wide and 1" - 2" long, stick it on one part at the end of the barrel, like 12 o'clock, take 3 shots, move it around the barrel, like 12 - 3 - 6 - 9, and see what you get, from there you can split the distance, It really works, the EC turner is really great, but for hunting the are a bit heavy, Eric does have a new smaller and lighter one. Cortina EC turners in TX , I think what your were saying is with the Magneto Speed it shoots better, maybe weigh the Magneto Speed and then the lead tape, and put it in the same place.
Boy, I'm going to hear a ton of feed back on this, I use to make golf clubs from persimmon wood, I shoot a bunch, have a EC turner and it's assume. This is what might ruffle feathers, they have lead tape, it's about 1/2 Wide with self sticking backing , You can experiment with it, cut a little strip in half, make it about 1/4'" wide and 1" - 2" long, stick it on one part at the end of the barrel, like 12 o'clock, take 3 shots, move it around the barrel, like 12 - 3 - 6 - 9, and see what you get, from there you can split the distance, It really works, the EC turner is really great, but for hunting the are a bit heavy, Eric does have a new smaller and lighter one. Cortina EC turners in TX , I think what your were saying is with the Magneto Speed it shoots better, maybe weigh the Magneto Speed and then the lead tape, and put it in the same place.
Hah! I knew my golf club building and rifle shooting would converge someday!!

I have a tuner and you start with it screwed in all the way. Then start turning it out 3 notches at a time. Go out at least 1 full turn and see where your best groups are, then fine tune from there.
My current EC setting was best at 3.2 complete revolutions. But like you said all rifles are different but start at zero and work your way out

Also look at Kenetic security solutions

I've used their product in several rifles.

My only experience with a tuner was with a Browning BOSS. It worked really good.
I did seating while fire forming. Found a forgiving powder charge, per my chronograph. Dialed in tightest grouping with the tuner.
Went to cold bore accuracy tuning with powder tweaking. Pretty much done right there.

I did not like a break though. Ended up swapping to the non-break BOSS tuner, and dialing it back in. That was easy.
Probably killed ~300 groundhogs with it, and then destroyed it..
Blew off the tuner, split barrel, expanded action ring, by leaving laser pointer in muzzle (for setting up chrono screens) and firing a shot!
In my top 10 dumbest moves for sure.
View attachment 450306
The thing about the BOSS system is that is really is a system (not just a threaded break).
It's weight may have been was set per barrel profile & cartridge/timing. They use a special hard rubber bedding with it.
They seem to know their stuff. https://patents.justia.com/patent/5279200
Their system likely focuses on dialing in factory ammo (arguably the biggest potential for tuners).
Tuners aren't new the first one I owned was on winchester model 70 classic shorter in the mid 90s that thing worked great the only draw back was they loud like all other brakes then they came out with the tuners that weren't brakes and the recoil was back but in my opinion w once you get a rifle tuned for hunting purposes a brake isn't needed nearly as much as I'm going to need to hear down the road

Tuners aren't new the first one I owned was on winchester model 70 classic shorter in the mid 90s that thing worked great the only draw back was they loud like all other brakes then they came out with the tuners that weren't brakes and the recoil was back but in my opinion w once you get a rifle tuned for hunting purposes a brake isn't needed nearly as much as I'm going to need to hear down the road
I think they also came out people were not used to muzle brakes. Very few rifles back then had them. A few large magnum hunters preferred the magnaport, 4 sluts on top of barrel near muzzle.
I remember the first day I shot my Win M70 30.06 BOSS back in early 90's on the range. People rushed to see what super magnum caliber I was shooting. They were surprised to hear it was a plain old 30.06 shooting 150 grain powerpont bullets.

Virtually anything that put pressure on or reduces pressure on your barrel can have an effect on barrel harmonics, which directly affects accuracy.

My Win 270 Win has akways been a good shooter so I decided to improve things by glass bedding it. It went from .5 groups to 3" groups and I was ready to shoot myself for ruining it.

After some consideration, I realized that I had removed the lump of wood at the end of the forend that was putting upward pressure on the barrel. So I made up some shims and installed them and now the rifle is doing better than ever! Like to have scared the crap out of myself with that one!

There is little doubt that barrel tuners work and can, at times, make a huge difference. Even on something like a 16" AR, installing the 6" "flash hider" that usually goes on an 11" barrel made a difference of about a half MOA at 100 yds. I'd like to have a tuner instead of the extra 6" but along with a bunch of other things I want, it's not that high on my list of things I just have to get (which is right next to the things I can actually afford!). The lists seldom match up very well!
Cheers,
crkckr

LOL, I saw the video earlier and contemplated posting it. He, too, did an excellent job. There is always a counter to another idea. However, it is up to the end-users to synthesize the presented information. For me, I was going to invest in muzzle brake anyway; I figure I will give the EC tuner brake a try. There is no substitute for a real-world experience.

LOL, I saw the video earlier and contemplated posting it. He, too, did an excellent job. There is always a counter to another idea. However, it is up to the end-users to synthesize the presented information. For me, I was going to invest in muzzle brake anyway; I figure I will give the EC tuner brake a try. There is no substitute for a real-world experience.
I don't know what type of rifle you want to try it on, but for me and a 15 lb. bench gun shooting small capacity benchrest cartridges, I stay away from muzzle brakes and use a standard tuner. A brake just isn't needed for small cartridges and heavy rifles.

I don't know what type of rifle you want to try it on, but for me and a 15 lb. bench gun shooting small capacity benchrest cartridges, I stay away from muzzle brakes and use a standard tuner. A brake just isn't needed for small cartridges and heavy rifles.
.338 Thor > https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-338-thor.327058/#post-2776837

Weight is your friend when it comes to felt recoil. An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes: reduced felt recoil and muzzle jump/rise. The latter is often not realized.