Barrel Harmonics Testing

I have a Christenson Long Range Mesa in 6.5 Creed, I had 3 loads that I had been working with and decided to load 6 of each ,shoot the first 3 of each load for accuracy the shoot the last 3 of each with the Magneto Speed on my barrel, I thought anything you hang on your barrel could cause to accuracy to go south, so I shot 3 of each with the loads. Well I about died.............the best of each 3 shot groups were about 3/4" to 7/8ths,I put the magneto speed on the barrel and shot each 3 shot group testing velocity and S.D. Each load tested shooting at the same bull produced 1/4" 3 shot groups, best s.d. was 7.0 worst was 11.0 velocity ran from 2838 down to 2800, cartridge length was from 2.875 to 2.860 and 2.835, used 147 Hornady and Saybul6.5 powder I can't go around shooting all the time with a magneto Speed on the barrel, the magneto speed weighs 6.3 oz. ,HELP Pete

What you saw is most likely a fluke, if you want repeatability, get yourself an EC tuner and play with it, it will do the same thing.
Just prior to being forced out of shooting and my livelihood, our F-class rulers here banned tuners and were in the process of banning breaks, so feel free to use them in the US.

Cheers.

What you saw is most likely a fluke, if you want repeatability, get yourself an EC tuner and play with it, it will do the same thing.
I purchased one to try on my .338 Thor.

EC tuner brake.jpg

.338 Thor scoped 2 of 4.jpg

Just prior to being forced out of shooting and my livelihood, our F-class rulers here banned tuners and were in the process of banning breaks, so feel free to use them in the US.

Cheers.
That's a bummer! 🤬

Last edited:
Eric Cortina's tuner brake is legit. Load what you want and then use the tuner to figure out the barrel harmonics. I literally just got done this past week figuring out what my CA Ridgeline in 300wsm setting was after 22 shots! That rifle never shot but now it's laying them on top of one another. This is 5@100 which it has repeated. You won't be disappointed

Attachments

• 1BC5E1F6-0D10-427A-A94F-3BDC559A63AA.jpeg
    1BC5E1F6-0D10-427A-A94F-3BDC559A63AA.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 90C0980B-1E53-4965-91DE-2D0A34284E5B.jpeg
    90C0980B-1E53-4965-91DE-2D0A34284E5B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 236
I recently did some testing of my own in a 260 Rem and a 300 Norma Mag. load development with and without a suppressor. The second test was using a metal self timing APA gen 2 and a Ti Rokslide brake on each gun. As the gun barrel warmed up…the groups walked around much quicker with the heavier brake and was different than the next. The load ABSOLUTELY changed for me with the change of a brake or suppression. At 100 yards, it's didn't change a ton….maybe from consistent 0.3 inch groups to 0.5-0.6 inch groups. But go out to distance and do it again was a big change in accuracy. Hope this helps

I have a Christenson Long Range Mesa in 6.5 Creed, I had 3 loads that I had been working with and decided to load 6 of each ,shoot the first 3 of each load for accuracy the shoot the last 3 of each with the Magneto Speed on my barrel, I thought anything you hang on your barrel could cause to accuracy to go south, so I shot 3 of each with the loads. Well I about died.............the best of each 3 shot groups were about 3/4" to 7/8ths,I put the magneto speed on the barrel and shot each 3 shot group testing velocity and S.D. Each load tested shooting at the same bull produced 1/4" 3 shot groups, best s.d. was 7.0 worst was 11.0 velocity ran from 2838 down to 2800, cartridge length was from 2.875 to 2.860 and 2.835, used 147 Hornady and Saybul6.5 powder I can't go around shooting all the time with a magneto Speed on the barrel, the magneto speed weighs 6.3 oz. ,HELP Pete
Those are dam good es and sd numbers....

My only experience with a tuner was with a Browning BOSS. It worked really good.
I did seating while fire forming. Found a forgiving powder charge, per my chronograph. Dialed in tightest grouping with the tuner.
Went to cold bore accuracy tuning with powder tweaking. Pretty much done right there.

I did not like a break though. Ended up swapping to the non-break BOSS tuner, and dialing it back in. That was easy.
Probably killed ~300 groundhogs with it, and then destroyed it..
Blew off the tuner, split barrel, expanded action ring, by leaving laser pointer in muzzle (for setting up chrono screens) and firing a shot!
In my top 10 dumbest moves for sure.
BOSS.jpg

The thing about the BOSS system is that is really is a system (not just a threaded break).
It's weight may have been was set per barrel profile & cartridge/timing. They use a special hard rubber bedding with it.
They seem to know their stuff. https://patents.justia.com/patent/5279200
Their system likely focuses on dialing in factory ammo (arguably the biggest potential for tuners).

Last edited:
Boy, I'm going to hear a ton of feed back on this, I use to make golf clubs from persimmon wood, I shoot a bunch, have a EC turner and it's assume. This is what might ruffle feathers, they have lead tape, it's about 1/2 Wide with self sticking backing , You can experiment with it, cut a little strip in half, make it about 1/4'" wide and 1" - 2" long, stick it on one part at the end of the barrel, like 12 o'clock, take 3 shots, move it around the barrel, like 12 - 3 - 6 - 9, and see what you get, from there you can split the distance, It really works, the EC turner is really great, but for hunting the are a bit heavy, Eric does have a new smaller and lighter one. Cortina EC turners in TX , I think what your were saying is with the Magneto Speed it shoots better, maybe weigh the Magneto Speed and then the lead tape, and put it in the same place.