Barrel fouls after 5 shots?

Robinhood493

Can anyone explain this to me. I have a gun that shoots 5 shots into about 1/2" after cleaning, then the groups open up to about 3". When I clean, it has very little copper in the barrel.

Can anyone explain this to me. I have a gun that shoots 5 shots into about 1/2" after cleaning, then the groups open up to about 3". When I clean, it has very little copper in the barrel.

Are these shots fired consecutively? In other words, does this happen when you fire more than 5 shots in one sitting, and have you fired 5 shots on a different day with a fouled bore?.......Rich

Are these shots fired consecutively? In other words, does this happen when you fire more than 5 shots in one sitting, and have you fired 5 shots on a different day with a fouled bore?.......Rich

Yes shots are fired consecutively. I tried this 3 times and had the same results. I shot as many as 20 shots and the gun didn't settle down.

I was thinking that you may have had a bedding/barrel heating problem, but if it repeats itself with a cold/fouled bore, that is curious? So the first five shots out of the fouled bore do not group either. Is that correct?

I was thinking that you may have had a bedding/barrel heating problem, but if it repeats itself with a cold/fouled bore, that is curious? So the first five shots out of the fouled bore do not group either. Is that correct?

Yes, you are correct. When I shoot I wait at least 10 min between shots. The barrel is not even warm for the next shot. I do think I am having some bedding issues. What gets me is that the first 5 shots from a squeaky clean bore are great. It's opposite from what you normally see.

Yes, you are correct. When I shoot I wait at least 10 min between shots. The barrel is not even warm for the next shot. I do think I am having some bedding issues. What gets me is that the first 5 shots from a squeaky clean bore are great. It's opposite from what you normally see.

What brand/model rifle is it?

Are you doing barrel break in? If not why are you cleaning so much? Do not even think about taking out the copper until you have a degradation in accuracy. You can take out powder fouling, but I don't even do that until I see a degradation. I understand you said its the reverse of what you would expect.

If I'm way off in my understanding of your issue disregard my thought's.

Following along with Elkaholic's questions can you state the model of the rifle and any mods you have done to it? You said its a 700 but a 700 what etc....? If it has a usable stock we can bed it very easily for very cheep, in a few days.

Jon

I experienced this several years ago and it required a change of bullet to correct the problem. The rifle was also a Reminton 700 Mil Spec in 308. The bullet that would give results with a clean bore only was a 165 Hornady SST, the problem was corrected with a 165Ballistic Tip. It also was OK with 175 SMK's and 165 Game Kings. Im not sure why this occurred, but can only assume it was as a bore/bullet compatibility issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.