barrel fluting?

fisherman983

who provides the best services and turn around time?
trying to figure out my next barrel and curious if its cheaper/easier to flute a barrel over going with a proof light sendero

who provides the best services and turn around time?
trying to figure out my next barrel and curious if its cheaper/easier to flute a barrel over going with a proof light sendero

It is normally cheaper and better to order a barrel fluted from the barrel maker. His quality standards have to be met even after it is fluted. (Some barrel makers void there warranty if you flute there barrels)

High-end barrels all take around 6 to 10 weeks for delivery so order soon. Some barrel makers, also have in stock barrels and maybe you can use one of these if it is the right twist and contour. (Delivery is 2 to 3 weeks).

The best barrels are only about $100.00 more than the cheep barrels but well worth the difference if you are going to build a custom rifle and spend lots of money.

J E CUSTOM

It is normally cheaper and better to order a barrel fluted from the barrel maker. His quality standards have to be met even after it is fluted. (Some barrel makers void there warranty if you flute there barrels)

High-end barrels all take around 6 to 10 weeks for delivery so order soon. Some barrel makers, also have in stock barrels and maybe you can use one of these if it is the right twist and contour. (Delivery is 2 to 3 weeks).

The best barrels are only about $100.00 more than the cheep barrels but well worth the difference if you are going to build a custom rifle and spend lots of money.

J E CUSTOM
Reread what J E Custom wrote it could save much greif.

I have heard that after fluting, you must have the barrel cyro treated again; about another $100

Everyone has a different opinion on this subject and no one is 100% right or wrong.

For what it's worth, I've had many cut rifled barrels fluted by Paul , SAC and Kampfeld . Some were new , others had hundreds of rounds fired prior to fluting. None of them shot worse than you'd expect from a quality barrel, one of the used barrels shot better after fluting , no B.S.

Check out Twisted Barrel's Facebook page. The guy knows his stuff and does some amazing fluting. He just did a flute job for me. Turn around time was a week.

I just recently purchased a barrel and had it fluted from Broughton. Tim is very specific on how he makes barrels and i trust him. He stress relieves the barrel and then does the final lapping.

I think the fact that many barrels have been fluted and or profiles from blanks and a number have won BR competitions at the national level should speak to if its a real world issue on premium high end barrels.. In a perfect world I agree 100% having all profile and fluting done prior to final dimensional lapping etc should give the highest degree of assurance the bore dimensions and striaghtness are at the tightest tolerance but that is not always possible.

On a slightly different area of fluting; wasn't it AI, years ago, that did testing of fluted vs unfluted barrels and found that all fluted barrels showed more movement from cold zero point of impact than nonfluted. They used lasers on barrel reciever and scope to measure movmenet as the barrel warmed up.

My only question about that was if they were using button cut or hammer forged barrels. Either way hunting is a ideally a single shot and always on a cold bore and shooting comps are almost always on fully warmed barrels so.......but regardless I did find the testing and results back then interesting data points to consider as I will usually take scienfitic testing over ancedotal reports in most areas. As long as I feel I can trust the integrity of the testers and their methods.

I am glad you and others have had good luck. I have also had had flutted barrels shoot well. I have had several that did not. ( flutted by some of the best )Please donot take my word for it. After the expense of the barrel,chambering,flutting ,coating and putting brakes on, you are ~$1200. Now spend time testing. If it doesn't shoot well, maybe your gunsmith takes his time testing, or because you just laid out 4,5,or 6k on your custom rifle why not $400 $600 on a Pro for load development. If it still does not shoot good call Krieger or Bartlein explain you have $1500 in a barrel and you are not satisfied with the accuracy. They will explain policy. I am a slow learner, I now buy them flutted from the manufacture or I do not flute. ( I am trying to help )
Question: Why will Kampfeld flute a Bartlein 2b, but Bartlein will not?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.