Barrel fitting / Truing cost

shaneman153d

I have been looking for a cheap long range rig for a while now and I have come to the conclusion that I can probably do a cheap custom build for just a little bit more. I already have a donor Rem 700 in 7mm, and I'm looking at Pac Nor barrels. I noticed that they will fit the barrel and true the action for an additional $300. This seemed kind of high to me so I asked my LGS and they quoted me $500!

Is there a place that will do this work for less money?

Yes, but they use plumber pipe thread cutters for threading the barrel, drill bits for chambering and a belt sander for truing!

Pacnor is a deal!

You want cheap work, it will probably have matching cheap quality.

Most chambering alone is an absolute minimum of $150 with some getting up to $400. Avg in the $180-200 or so range.

Plus it all depends on what you mean truing the action. Receiver face and lugs, or are you talking raceway and recutting the threads with sleeving the bolt, etc etc.

BH

Last edited:
Most smiths charge $150-$200 FIt & chamber plus $150-$200 to true action. Make sure to use a quality smith. Use any of the smiths who are sponsors here and you won't be sorry.Not a good area to save money and cut corners.

Dan

Last edited:
I just got a rebarrel back with a Pac-Nor 3 groove #5 on a Winchester post 64 from a 264 win mag to a 375 Ruger. I paid Pac-Nor directly and had them ship it to a smith in Salt Lake City and he did the rest. It only costs $25.00 to ship almost anywhere and insure it for $1,000.00 so a local smith is no longer necessary.

The gunsmith bill for chambering, truing the action, adjusting the trigger and refinishing the action and barrel was $380.00. I think the refinishing was $150.00 of that. It is the 3rd rebarrel by this particular smith and I have confidence he has done a good job. Will find out soon starting this weekend. It is important that you pick a good smith that you can communicate with, has good references and that you have confidence in.

PM a few posters here and ask who they recommend. I can't think of a better place to find better opinions.

Gunsmith is in business to make money and normally blueprinting action is a one time cost but it's a upfront cost so if you keep the rifle and replace barrels good investment. If you don't have a gunsmith lined up you could send your action to one of the barrel manufactors that offers chambering and their cost may be less for action work be best to call and check that out also.

Here a price list from Kreiger
Services

I have been looking for a cheap long range rig for a while now and I have come to the conclusion that I can probably do a cheap custom build for just a little bit more. I already have a donor Rem 700 in 7mm, and I'm looking at Pac Nor barrels. I noticed that they will fit the barrel and true the action for an additional $300. This seemed kind of high to me so I asked my LGS and they quoted me $500!

Probably not that you could depend on getting a good job. Getting what you pay for in gunsmithing might be even more true than most places. I wouldn't try to skimp on the Smith if you are going to put on a custom barrel. You might end up paying in the long run.......Rich

I pulled up Pac-Nor site for the $300 that doesn't include barrel but the do this
Fitting and Chambering PAC-NOR Barrel to Your Action
(Includes Lapping and Truing of Action)

That's a pretty good price.

Yeah after looking around, that seems pretty reasonable. However I've decided to just buy a commercially built cheapo and save the custom build for later if I get into this LR thing! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.