Barrel Damage?

Limbic

I friend asked me a question this past weekend and it really stumped me. Apparently he shot three or four 7mm Ultra Mag rounds down a gun chambered in 300 Ultra Mag. Might have been Weatherby but I'm pretty sure he said Ultra mag. He can no longer get this gun to group like it did before. It has never been viewed with a bore scope. What kind of damage if any can you do to the gooves and lands by doing this. I would think the 7mm bullet would bounce in the bore, scuffing the rifiling.

What say ye?

Though I've never done specifically that, I don't think it would make a squat of difference.

I've launched several, well.......many :rolleyes: about 1/8th X 2" brass tubes down a 338 barrel without any adverse affects whatsoever.

Also with the 0.012" air space around the .284 bullet there would be a probable cushion around the bullet???

Next time he does it tell him to use try a paper patch. It may help.:D

:D
Though I've never done specifically that, I don't think it would make a squat of difference.

I've launched several, well.......many :rolleyes: about 1/8th X 2" brass tubes down a 338 barrel without any adverse affects whatsoever.

Also with the 0.012" air space around the .284 bullet there would be a probable cushion around the bullet???

Next time he does it tell him to use try a paper patch. It may help.:D

I tend to agree with Roy. My gut tells me it's not a good thing to do, but I'd be surprised if it destroyed the accuracy of the barrel. I suspect he's got a mental block. Clean the barrel well and shoot a group for him. It'll probably shoot just as well as it did before. I doubt that there will be very many that can speak from vast experience. Sounds like Roy's got some, but I can't quite figure out why he's shooting brass rivets down his barrel... :) :D

Sounds like Roys forward ignition experiments were having some small failures. I don't think he's ever fessed up on that one before ?? ------ RHB

I don't think 3 rounds should have much affect. I've fire formed a few 25-06 live rounds in my 6.5-06 A.I. Roy, I'm from Id. too........what do you hunt with rivets:D:D

I don't think he hurt the barrel but if he cut high pressure grooves in it (Like a blown primer does when the gas hits the bolt face) he may have.

The only way to check this it to use a bore scope and take a look.

I have heard of people shooting 223 rounds in a 7 TCU to fire form the brass but these people
told me that the barrel was not used for hunting or matches just fire forming.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.