Barrel cooling

demarpaint

I was wondering how long you guys are letting your barrels cool between shots? I have a 22.250, in a VSSF that I love to shoot....I was reading that in the hot weather guys are letting barrels cool 5 minutes between shots.......I usually fire 5 or so shots and then start shooting the 22 rimfire for a while.......

Any suggestions? Would wrapping a cold towel around the barrel help any?

Frank D
rolleyes.gif

Hello Frank

You could probably shoot more then 5 rounds at a time before letting it cool.

During the 1000 yard matches 5 to 7 rounds (average) are fired during the sighter round and then 10 shots for the record round are fired witout any break.
Most shooters fire as quickly as possible before the conditions change. Some do shoot slow to dope the wind.
The barrels do get hot however, most barrels last around 2000 rounds there on the average.

Haven't tried the wet towel treatment.

Later
DC

I heard there is a guy who goes to the range I use sometimes,..who drapes a bag of ice over the barrel to cool it faster. I don't know if this works,..or if the quick change would affect harmonics in any way,...but would be willing to try it.

I was thinking of just taking a few wet towels, shop rags etc, and freezing them the night before.........Throwing them in the cooler and using them. I use the plastic empty soda bottles to make ice blocks and as they melt they could be poured on the towels and used as well. Just a thought....The 22.250 barrel gets pretty hot..

I was concerned about the harmonics as well.

[ 07-01-2003: Message edited by: demarpaint ]

I use ice to cool the barrel in the dog town. I will shot 10 to 20 rounds and then take ice from a cooler and rub the ice on the out side of the barrel. Then let set for a couple minuets to stabilize temperature wall shooting another gun.
Crow Mag

I put a couple of wet wash clothes in the freezer and then stick them and a bag of that blue ice stuff in a zip lock bag when I head out. I wipe the barrel down after about five shots. It'll take the heat right out of the barrel. I usually let the barrel air cool for another 5 minutes or so to even things out. Works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.