Barrel contours

texas

Ok went all the way back to the begging to check before asking. Now what is the best way to determine which contour is best? Not counting a straightbull barrel but one for a med/heavy hunting rifle say in the 9.5-11lbs range without a scope? Also would like to have the muzzle somewhere around .950dia. All this for a 50. cal pill and no more than 27" in lenght.

Most barrel maker's sites (or catalogs) have a chart that describes the barrel contours they offer. If you talk to the builder he can also tell you pretty accurately how much your barrel will weigh when you have cut off a certain length from a certain contoured barrel.
I would question if your could get a rifle built that light with a 0.950 muzzle at 27". You can easily weigh your action, stock, and scope. Then you will know how much barrel weight you can use to stay within your weight objective. We checked some rifles that have fairly heavy stocks and muzzles in that range and they are 12-14 lb. or even a little more.

Someone like Dan Lilja would help you get the correct barrel blank real quick.

Thanks Ian I need all the help I can get. Maybe I was dreaming about the weight but a mans' go to do what he thinks is right for him. How's the hunting up that way? Always heard that there was good hunting (L.R.) for moose and caribou.

We are not well known for moose or caribou, as a matter of fact there is no season for caribou anymore. Most common critter is the whitetail deer and we grow some very big bucks. Deer herd doesn't seem to be doing very well tho.
Have hunted caribou several times in northern Quebec and it is a wonderful hunt - the bulls are one of the most impressive sights you will ever see in the wilderness. Lots of opportunity for long shots as much of the range is barren.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.