Barrel Contour

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by C.O. Shooter, Dec 24, 2011.

1. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

Does anyone have pictures of various barrel contours? I understand the different dimensions of barrel contours, however, I would like to see some. I like the sendero contour, but maybe something a little bigger! Thanks

2. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

This is a McGowan stainless steel varmint contour 26". It is on my Savage chambered in 7RM.

[​IMG]

3. gcamp54

gcamp54 Well-Known Member

If you go to the barrel manufactures web sites you will get the measurements of their contours. A good comparison is the Sendero. It is about .8 inches. A #5 is around .7. You can go to just about any sporting goods store and look at a Sendero. I have a Sendero but prefer a # 5 contour because I want a rifle I can carry although I've carried the Sendero up and down the mountains. If you plan to just do prone, no packing in, type of hunting, then you might like the heavier contours. Look at the measurements then go look at some comparisons at the gun shop near you. You will start to get an idea what is good for your purpose. There are many considerations to contour from accuracy, or stiffness, to weight. From my reading on all these sites it is a personal preference on the intended purpose.

4. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

Look in the gun photo section of the forums. There are lots of pictures there.

5. C.O. Shooter

Would you say the varmint contour is bigger than the sendero? My 300 RUM is in sendero!

6. C.O. Shooter

I guess you are right. I was maybe looking for a side by side comparison.