Barrel Contour

C.O. Shooter

Does anyone have pictures of various barrel contours? I understand the different dimensions of barrel contours, however, I would like to see some. I like the sendero contour, but maybe something a little bigger! Thanks

Does anyone have pictures of various barrel contours? I understand the different dimensions of barrel contours, however, I would like to see some. I like the sendero contour, but maybe something a little bigger! Thanks

This is a McGowan stainless steel varmint contour 26". It is on my Savage chambered in 7RM.

DSC_0024.jpg

If you go to the barrel manufactures web sites you will get the measurements of their contours. A good comparison is the Sendero. It is about .8 inches. A #5 is around .7. You can go to just about any sporting goods store and look at a Sendero. I have a Sendero but prefer a # 5 contour because I want a rifle I can carry although I've carried the Sendero up and down the mountains. If you plan to just do prone, no packing in, type of hunting, then you might like the heavier contours. Look at the measurements then go look at some comparisons at the gun shop near you. You will start to get an idea what is good for your purpose. There are many considerations to contour from accuracy, or stiffness, to weight. From my reading on all these sites it is a personal preference on the intended purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts