Barrel contour

Teutonic

I have a remington .300 winchester that won't shoot worth a darn. Thought this might be a good opportunity for a rebarrel. I was either going to go with a remington magnum stock barrel contour or go with a thicker barrel with flutes. I wanted to not increase overall gun weight, as this will be an elk rifle. Any recs on barrel weight choice?

Just a thought...you might want to fire lap the barrel. Unless you are looking for an excuse to rebarrel, I would try this first. It will lengthen the throat a bit and you will have to redo your loads to match. Look at Tubbs Final Finish, they have loaded ammo and bullets that use progressively finer compounds. Worst case, you have to rebarrel anyway.

Just a thought...you might want to fire lap the barrel. Unless you are looking for an excuse to rebarrel, I would try this first. It will lengthen the throat a bit and you will have to redo your loads to match. Look at Tubbs Final Finish, they have loaded ammo and bullets that use progressively finer compounds. Worst case, you have to rebarrel anyway.

If you want a fluted barrel, I believe a #5 contour is minimum for a 30 caliber. At least that was the case in a Lilja......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.