Barrel Contour

nrar15

Getting ready to build a 338 Edge Savage and want get my barrel ordered from Devin at Sin Arms. But do not know what barrel length or contour to go with. It's going in a Stockade PDST stock.
Will take all the help I can get never ordered a costom barrel before.
THANKS
Bob

Bob, you looking to build a carry gun or a long range gun? do you have a weight limit in mind? I would go minimum of a #6 or a sendero contour, if weight is no issue go with somthing heavier. I would cut the barrel to 28" minimum. just my 2c

Jim going for a long range gun will be shooting prone. What are the diameters of the barrels everyone seems to have thier own way of sizing barrels.
I'm new to custom barrels.
PS thanks for the info on the phone today.
Bob

Bob. is this being fitted with the nut? if so I would do a straight taper. It will start at 1.120" if a large shank, or 1.055 if its a small shank. straight taper it to anywhere from .830 to .920 at the muzzle. This should get you about a 13-14 lb gun depending on your stock weight. For example the savage targets I believe taper to .920" at the muzzle.

If it's fitted without the nut I like the medium and heavy palma contours a little better than the straight tapers.

Jim it will be done with a nut I was thinking 30" Brux 9-10 with a Mucle break .The straight traper sounds like it will be easier to fit in the stock just wanted something a little on the heavy side so I can put a suppessor on it later.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.