Barrel contour?

20" Bartlein #3
Templar sheep hunter port action (Defiance Rebel)
Manners EH2
APA RTG dbm
TBAC CB

C974DB21-B865-45AA-A04E-A0C112FE5C95.jpeg

Good choice on the bartlein... my 3b's shoot amazing. I'd go 2B if you want a bit lighter, and i'd personally do that before going carbon fiber, just my opinion. My bartleins have shot a bit better than my proof CF on average. And save yourself $350.

Optics - don't know your budget but for a lightweight hunting rifle, hard to be a Vortex Razor HD LH... around 16-17 oz, the new version has an exposed turrent with zero stop. If you can go a bit heavier, i'm LOVING the Bushnell LRTS, have two of them.

Stock - Mesa Altitude is a great option (on my 300 PRC), though my favorite all around stocks are Manners EH1. If you want to go even lighter, mcmillan game hunter edge fill, or axial precision.

I'm using a #3 douglas contour .634 at muzzle, on a light 7mm in 20", I like it and a short, handy, stubby easy to climb into stands and hunt thick stuff rifle. Don't heat up too bad doing load or target work either. I also have a light sporter contour on a 260 at 20" (its L/W's lightest non custom contour .553 at muzzle, I just had them shrink profile down to the shorter overall length), its also easy to lug thru the thick stuff and climb with. Its much quicker to heat up and 3 shot strings with a cool down is mandatory. Slower doing any extended shooting for sure, but its noticeably lighter to carry all day. Depends on what is the most important to you, weight or handling.

Notice the lighter the contour the more touchy and narrow the nodes become when finding that sweet spot. Hope this helps with your question ....Good Shooting

Good choice on the bartlein... my 3b's shoot amazing. I'd go 2B if you want a bit lighter, and i'd personally do that before going carbon fiber, just my opinion. My bartleins have shot a bit better than my proof CF on average. And save yourself $350.

Optics - don't know your budget but for a lightweight hunting rifle, hard to be a Vortex Razor HD LH... around 16-17 oz, the new version has an exposed turrent with zero stop. If you can go a bit heavier, i'm LOVING the Bushnell LRTS, have two of them.

Stock - Mesa Altitude is a great option (on my 300 PRC), though my favorite all around stocks are Manners EH1. If you want to go even lighter, mcmillan game hunter edge fill, or axial precision.
More good information
Thanks

I'm using a #3 douglas contour .634 at muzzle, on a light 7mm in 20", I like it and a short, handy, stubby easy to climb into stands and hunt thick stuff rifle. Don't heat up too bad doing load or target work either. I also have a light sporter contour on a 260 at 20" (its L/W's lightest non custom contour .553 at muzzle, I just had them shrink profile down to the shorter overall length), its also easy to lug thru the thick stuff and climb with. Its much quicker to heat up and 3 shot strings with a cool down is mandatory. Slower doing any extended shooting for sure, but its noticeably lighter to carry all day. Depends on what is the most important to you, weight or handling.

Notice the lighter the contour the more touchy and narrow the nodes become when finding that sweet spot. Hope this helps with your question ....Good Shooting
Thank you for the info

Carbon barrels?

Can someone explain to me the benefit of these. I just dont see it. I don't see any accuracy advantage to them. Is it the weight difference, if any that attracts shooters?

Carbon barrel have a thicker stiffer profile but will weight less then the same contour steel barrel. Plus they do look cool too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.