Barrel contour?

harps

Ok, building 4 light weight hunters. What contour #3 , #2B ? Building 2 , 6.5 somethings (Sherman Short , PRC , WBY RPM , 264WinMag) and 2 , 7mm somethings (Sherman MAX , 280AI , LRM , 7MAG) Looking for insight for BARREL CONTOUR . Barrel length depending on cal , 22" to 26" max . So what are the suggestions / recommendations .
Thank you very much!

Ok, building 4 light weight hunters. What contour #3 , #2B ? Building 2 , 6.5 somethings (Sherman Short , PRC , WBY RPM , 264WinMag) and 2 , 7mm somethings (Sherman MAX , 280AI , LRM , 7MAG) Looking for insight for BARREL CONTOUR . Barrel length depending on cal , 22" to 26" max . So what are the suggestions / recommendations .
Thank you very much!

I understand you're building light rifles but what are you considering light for the entire rifle scoped? Barrel contour and barrel length and other components will affect your total rifle weight end goal.

I understand you're building light rifles but what are you considering light for the entire rifle scoped? Barrel contour and barrel length and other components will affect your total rifle weight end goal.
Yes would like to be able to keep under 7# using Remmy 700 S/A or L/A also have Winny pre64 mod70's AG Composits stocks , no more than 26ozs and I have 2 of the McMillan ultra lights for the Winnys , 26ozs . BDL bm .

Last edited:
Yes would like to be able to keep under 7# using Remmy 700 S/A or L/A also have Winny pre64 mod70's AG Composits stocks , no more than 26ozs and I have 2 of the McMillan ultra lights for the Winnys , 26ozs . BDL bm .
You can achieve that weight with a fluted 3B provided you have a carbon fiber stock. That is not scoped though. With a TOTAL rifle weight not to exceed your goal, you will be looking at something in the #2 contour with other light weight options such as stock, action and etc.

You can achieve that weight with a fluted 3B provided you have a carbon fiber stock. That is not scoped though. With a TOTAL rifle weight not to exceed your goal, you will be looking at something in the #2 contour with other light weight options such as stock, action and etc.
Yes , i have been looking at some of the TI actions , not wanting to to go lighter than #2B , #3 fluted
thanks i
for the info

My lightest rifle is built on Bartlein 2b @ 24" with barrels for 6.5 SS, 7-08 and 6.5 CM. They group very well to 600 yds.

My current build is using #3s for 264wm and 7MAX with flutes @ 26".

Most of my rifles are 3Bs. They are heavier, but easier to shoot small groups.

Lighter rifles are more pleasant to carry, but rifles too light are harder to shoot. My son found that out with his ultralight 300wm, that sits in the back of his safe.

Ordered a preferred #1 @ 24" for my sons 270 wsm in 1-8"twist and ended up changing it to a #2 @ 25" for the exact reason of being too light. Having that extra rigidity will help in accuracy and consistency at the cost of 4-5 ounces. I can help balance that with a titanium rail, lighter rings and a lighter scope.
Nice input, thanks.

My lightest rifle is built on Bartlein 2b @ 24" with barrels for 6.5 SS, 7-08 and 6.5 CM. They group very well to 600 yds.

My current build is using #3s for 264wm and 7MAX with flutes @ 26".

Most of my rifles are 3Bs. They are heavier, but easier to shoot small groups.

Lighter rifles are more pleasant to carry, but rifles too light are harder to shoot. My son found that out with his ultralight 300wm, that sits in the back of his safe.
Good informative, thanks.

7 pounds with scope or rifle only?

Either way:
Stock: 26 oz (per your weight)
Scope: 26 oz (average light weight scope for long range
Long Action 700 in BDL: 39 oz
Talley LW Rings Medium: 2 oz
Total: 5lb 13 oz

Leaves you with a barrel weight of 1lb 3 oz. for all in at 7 lbs or a barrel weight of 2 lb 13 oz for rifle only.

Should make your barrel choice easier. Keeping in mind everything weighs heavier than it is "suppose to".

Good luck,
Steve

7 pounds with scope or rifle only?

Either way:
Stock: 26 oz (per your weight)
Scope: 26 oz (average light weight scope for long range
Long Action 700 in BDL: 39 oz
Talley LW Rings Medium: 2 oz
Total: 5lb 13 oz

Leaves you with a barrel weight of 1lb 3 oz. for all in at 7 lbs or a barrel weight of 2 lb 13 oz for rifle only.

Should make your barrel choice easier. Keeping in mind everything weighs heavier than it is "suppose to".

Good luck,
Steve
Yea, i know im asking a lot . Im looking for information. Barrels are going to be around 3# or so , might need to look at TI actions , I dont want to spend that much , TI actions are not cheap.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.