Barrel contour?

Ok, building 4 light weight hunters. What contour #3 , #2B ? Building 2 , 6.5 somethings (Sherman Short , PRC , WBY RPM , 264WinMag) and 2 , 7mm somethings (Sherman MAX , 280AI , LRM , 7MAG) Looking for insight for BARREL CONTOUR . Barrel length depending on cal , 22" to 26" max . So what are the suggestions / recommendations .
Thank you very much!
When I am putting a rifle together to a certain weight I start with action weight use the lightest stock to suit needs then the lightest optics and mounting system then start figuring barrel weight I will give up some barrel length before I go to a lighter contour as a light weight hunter is normally not used at great distances so the small loss in velocity means little and the shorter barrel is stiffer and easier to pack around

When I am putting a rifle together to a certain weight I start with action weight use the lightest stock to suit needs then the lightest optics and mounting system then start figuring barrel weight I will give up some barrel length before I go to a lighter contour as a light weight hunter is normally not used at great distances so the small loss in velocity means little and the shorter barrel is stiffer and easier to pack around
Makes perfect sense, good information
Thanks

Ordered a preferred #1 @ 24" for my sons 270 wsm in 1-8"twist and ended up changing it to a #2 @ 25" for the exact reason of being too light. Having that extra rigidity will help in accuracy and consistency at the cost of 4-5 ounces. I can help balance that with a titanium rail, lighter rings and a lighter scope.
How did you like the Prefered barrel?. I've looked at them several times

Don't get me wrong. I really like the m70 actions. Ive been wanting to build off one for a while. The m70 actions are some what heavy.

For my light weight I went with a short action 700 in 7mm-08 21 inch benchmark barrel #3 in a mcmillan remington sporter edge fill hawkins bottom metal swarovski z3 3-10x42 brh scope in talley light weight mounts and I am at 7lbs 3oz loaded

How did you like the Prefered barrel?. I've looked at them several times

Preferred barrels are the same barrel as Thompson Center. Very accurate and cleaned up really nice after only a few patches. Very positive experience and I will continue to use them. I can get it already chambered for the same as a bartlien blank and as a half MOA barrel it's a heck of a deal!!

Preferred barrels are the same barrel as Thompson Center. Very accurate and cleaned up really nice after only a few patches. Very positive experience and I will continue to use them. I can get it already chambered for the same as a bartlien blank and as a half MOA barrel it's a heck of a deal!!
Not familiar with Preferred, thanks for the info

For my light weight I went with a short action 700 in 7mm-08 21 inch benchmark barrel #3 in a mcmillan remington sporter edge fill hawkins bottom metal swarovski z3 3-10x42 brh scope in talley light weight mounts and I am at 7lbs 3oz loaded
Great info on staying close to 7#'s
Thank you

Don't get me wrong. I really like the m70 actions. Ive been wanting to build off one for a while. The m70 actions are some what heavy.
Yea, i know , started collecting them in 1989 , have a bunch , i think they weigh 2.14#'s heavy , but they feed so nice and smooth. I built a 280 Rem with one about 20 yrs ago .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.