Barrel cleaning ?

I just noticed today while cleaning one of my guns that the barrel was warm and did not really pay it any mind but as I kept going it got very hot just from rubbing the patches back and forth through the barrel

I just noticed today while cleaning one of my guns that the barrel was warm and did not really pay it any mind but as I kept going it got very hot just from rubbing the patches back and forth through the barrel

Never heard of that? What were you using to clean it?

Unless your running the patches back and forth at warp speed, I've never heard of that either. What are you cleaning it with?

If it's Shooter's Choice copper remover it has a strong ammonia base and if not used properly can etch your barrel. IMHO I prefer using a nylon brush and don't think every trace of copper must be removed.

If it's Shooter's Choice copper remover it has a strong ammonia base and if not used properly can etch your barrel. IMHO I prefer using a nylon brush and don't think every trace of copper must be removed.

I actually believe its a good thing to leave "a little copper" to smooth the rough spots. The best thing I've found to remove copper is Bore Tech Eliminator and it will not hurt your barrel if you leave it in overnight! A few swipes with IOSSO helps polish up the rough spots after you get the copper out. I usually finish everything off by running a couple of patches with Kroil and it's ready to shoot. The Kroil will help to prevent dry fouling on your first shot.....Rich

Good grief! Don't DO that! You will beat up the throat, the crown, and about everyplace inbetween. You can destroy the accuracy in a barrel cleaning it faster than about any other way.

Highly recommended you immediately go to the 6mmBR.com web site and read the article about cleaning rifle bores before you even touch another cleaning rod.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Fitch

Good grief! Don't DO that! You will beat up the throat, the crown, and about everyplace inbetween. You can destroy the accuracy in a barrel cleaning it faster than about any other way.

Highly recommended you immediately go to the 6mmBR.com web site and read the article about cleaning rifle bores before you even touch another cleaning rod.

Bore Cleaning Method

Fitch

+100!!!!!

Boy am I ever glad I found BereTech Eliminator. I just cleaned the bore in my 338 LM after 50 firings and it took only 12 patches run through 3 sets of 4 with a 10 min soak between. I have tried many cleaners, too many to mention, but Bore Tech kicks all their butts.

Jeff gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts