Barrel cleaning

Hunter66654

I am not sure my topic should be in this location. If not, I apologize in advance and will gladly move it if there is a better space. I read the article on LRH magazine about using Wipe-out and/or Patch-out to clean carbon, copper, powder fouling, and molybdenum from barrels. The article was glowing with praise for the non use of brushing with the use of this product to get out all of these substances in a barrel regardless of how fouled it may be. I was impressed by the examples used in the article to substantiate their claim of being the best for getting a barrel clean until your patches come out angel white (as they say in the article).

I have not been able to find other sources that praise these products so profusely. In fact, when I did a search for "the best rifle barrel bore cleaners" these products did not show up i the results.

So, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used these products with their results and/or recommendations.

I am not sure my topic should be in this location. If not, I apologize in advance and will gladly move it if there is a better space. I read the article on LRH magazine about using Wipe-out and/or Patch-out to clean carbon, copper, powder fouling, and molybdenum from barrels. The article was glowing with praise for the non use of brushing with the use of this product to get out all of these substances in a barrel regardless of how fouled it may be. I was impressed by the examples used in the article to substantiate their claim of being the best for getting a barrel clean until your patches come out angel white (as they say in the article).

I have not been able to find other sources that praise these products so profusely. In fact, when I did a search for "the best rifle barrel bore cleaners" these products did not show up i the results.

So, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used these products with their results and/or recommendations.
The article I just referred to is on page 9 of the articles under the article tab and is entitle "Are your patches angel white?"

Hunter, I've tried Wipeout foam and Patchout. Stating this gets "all" the fouling is somewhat ambitious. Even with their Accelerator the barrels I've used the Wipeout products on are not fouling-free. I checked several Wipeout cleaned barrels to verify with my borescope and found some copper remaining. If you really want to create a firestorm, ask which barrel cleaner gets a barrel the cleanest. P.S., without a good bore guide and quality one piece rod, don't even bother. Just my opinion and believe me many other opinions out there.

GA Precision recommends Bore tech. I bought some. Doesn't stink and extremely effective and easy application tips. Win win. They have for break in an individual carbon and then copper. That is for a derp clean. Then eliminator which is carbon/copper for regular use. The other thing I love is their proof positive jags and brush so you know if you get green then it's your barrel and not the jag as well. Hell I should be sponsored.

I use Wipe-Out in my varmint rifles (204R & 20T) after shooting all day and I am happy with it. I first tried it in my RRA predator pursuit that I shot a lot of Fiocchi ammo through and I couldn't get it clean. It worked to break up all of the built up fouling.

I found out that with using just Wipe-Out you HAVE TO let it sit overnight. Then I would run a dry patch through and by about the third or fourth patch it would be 98% (guess) white.

I plan on continuing to use Wipe-Out and I am planning on trying Wipe-Out soon.

My cleaning regime has evolved over the years. Now I usually stand the rifle (or shotgun) muzzle down and spray a healthy dose of the cleaner of the day down the barrel and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. That seems to get 95% of the crude out. From there a half dozen or so patches does it. All that said I have found Wipeout to be one of the better ones for cleaning. The real key is soaking the barrel and letting it sit long enough for the cleaner to work.

Most folks start using things like WipeOut cause they clean rifles indoors and gun cleaner fumes can be an issue. Especially on the kitchen table and such. So they get a detergent based cleaner like WipeOut and soak the barrel for (sometimes) days on end. Will it work? Yes eventually, but the final results are hard pressed to match the results from a cleaner like Butches Bore Shine. Problem is BBS can make a room uninhabitable.

One of the best solutions out there is JB Bore paste. It works incredibly well. (It is as easy to use as normal liquid cleaners and does not require plugging up the rifle barrel and pouring an expensive Windex solution down the barrel and letting it soak for days. Oh, and don't forget to buy the "accelerator" what a joke! Why don't the just add the accelerator to the dang bottle of other crap in the first place...

JB's will remove a carbon ring pretty easily and leaves a barrel shiny and copper free in just a few minutes. That way you can put your gun in the safe and go to sleep.

The only way to see what any of these cleaners are really doing is use a bore scope. I use the Lyman and am very happy with it.

You can get JB Bore Paste at Brownell's or Amazon. Cabelas might even carry it now.

Here's a good instruction vid on using JB's and Kroil oil.

What 1 piece cleaning rods are you guys using? Also what brand bore guide?

I'm not trying to jack the thread, just figured it would be a good place to post.

Thanks,
Joe

I got the kit from Bownells that contains the JB paste and the can of Kroil. I've been told by a gunsmith I trust very much that it's the way to go. So I guess I need to do some shooting and cleaning and see which I prefer.

I have a Tipton bore guide and Tipton rods for my cheaper varmint rifles.

I'm not trying to jack the thread, just figured it would be a good place to post.

Thanks,
Joe

43, nice to see someone who actually uses a bore guide. I favor the Dewey rod and Mike Lucas bore guide, saves the barrel.

I have used WipeOut for cleaning up older rifles that have sat for years without cleaning, or some factory rifles that have very rough bores. I does work fast, but I don't use it on my precision rifles. It reminds me of EasyOff oven cleaner and I really don't like the "sticky" consistency. The profuse foaming action can get easily get into other parts(lug recess,etc.) of the action if not careful. It's important to get it all out of any parts subjected, and properly lubricate since rust WILL quickly develop.

My go-to cleaning solvents for many years have been the BoreTech line of products. They are odorless, and contain no harsh chemicals like ammonia, removing copper with chelating agents. I use Eliminator for general cleaning, and the specialty copper and carbon cleaners for break-in and tougher jobs. After the barrel is cleaned and wiped dry I run a lightly wetted patch of Montana Blend Core Conditioner down the barrel. Wiping the barrel with a dry.patch before use, I have generally gotten the best clean and cold bore accuracy using the Montana Blend BC.

Thanks,
Joe

I use Montana. Yes, they are expensive BUT they are very high quality. The other justification is they will last a lifetime AND I have rifles that to me are high quality so why use a *** that could potentially damage the barrel, crown, etc.
I highly recommend people read GA Precision break in cleaning recommendations.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts