Barrel cleaning and settling down...

So I did a thing last week out of pure boredom due to this BS virus and being locked in my house, so I scrubbed and cleaned all my rifles with foam cleaner and a nylon brush. Squeaky clean...So I went out to the range yesterday and proceeded to shoot said rifles, 240 why, 280 rem, 7-300 mag. Now these rifles all shoot 1/2 MOA consistently. Well needless to say, they're now shooting about 1.5-3 MOA...I shot around 15 shots out of each and the only ones that started to settle down were the 280 and the 7-300. They're down around 1 MOA. The 240 WBY is still around 2 MOA. Not very happy and I won't be cleaning my barrels anytime soon again until I visibly start to see the groups go to crap. Lesson learned...who knows how long they're going to take to settle back in. Thought it would only take a few rounds honestly. I've never seen these rifles shoot so bad with proven loads in my life. Not a happy camper..

Not trying to be combative in any way, but the BS virus is trying to take my son's life as I write this. His employer didn't supply them with the proper safety equipment in the initial onset of this thing so that they were protected. He works for a major pharmaceutical corporation in security dealing with people from all over the nation every day and their employer failed them in not taking this threat serious enough to provide the PPE . Now my son is battling for his life in Isolation in the hospital, he also exposed his children and many other family members who are now in quarantine. Seeing my wife breaking down crying with the dread of loosing her youngest son is to say at the least (heart breaking) no matter what I say or how I hold her it doesn't comfort her Mothers worried and broken heart for her son battling for his life with an unseen enemy all alone with no family for support! There are many, many other across our nation facing the same thing, they too need our prayers and support. "It's the American way since our beginning!"

Not trying to be combative in any way, but the BS virus is trying to take my son's life as I write this. His employer didn't supply them with the proper safety equipment in the initial onset of this thing so that they were protected. He works for a major pharmaceutical corporation in security dealing with people from all over the nation every day and their employer failed them in not taking this threat serious enough to provide the PPE . Now my son is battling for his life in Isolation in the hospital, he also exposed his children and many other family members who are now in quarantine. Seeing my wife breaking down crying with the dread of loosing her youngest son is to say at the least (heart breaking) no matter what I say or how I hold her it doesn't comfort her Mothers worried and broken heart for her son battling for his life with an unseen enemy all alone with no family for support! There are many, many other across our nation facing the same thing, they too need our prayers and support. "It's the American way since our beginning!"
Best wishes for your son. Mine works at MGH and I'm worried, probably more that when he was in the Army in 2001 in part of the Special Forces in the Philippians.

Best wishes for your son. Mine works at MGH and I'm worried, probably more that when he was in the Army in 2001 in part of the Special Forces in the Philippians.
Yes Sir, My oldest was in Iraq and we worried day and night, but at least he could see his enemy. Our family were all military of LEO background and it's like our hands are tied. This is attacking our innocent ones across our great nation and we have no way to fight for them except for cleaning, sanitizing and praying.. May the Lord protect your son and family. Best wishes and prayers...

.So I just got done checking my 7-300 and I noticed my top ring screws were a bit loose and the 1/2" nuts were maybe 1/8 turn loose as well. Also my scope was perfectly leveled before I shot it, and now it is slightly canted, per the wheeler bubble levels...That's odd, I tightened all screws until they wouldn't tighten anymore...My action screws are still tight. The scope appeared to have slid back at least a 1/4" I know this because it left skid Mark's all down my brand new MK4 scope...Not very happy right now...I'm using a 20 MOA weaver rail with the 6 screw tactical rings. I never had an issue with the scope moving before I switched scopes. I'm going to take the 1/2" nuts off and see where the bar is in relation to the slots on the rail. I always slide the bar towards the muzzle, then tighten as that's what I have read to do anyway. Since the opposite reaction to the shoulder during firing, everything else moves forward. I'm kinds at a loss here. Now I'm gonna have to check my base, loosen the top ring screws, relevel the scope, and tighten everything back down. I have always followed up my barrel cleaning with a patch of Rem oil, since my rifles are in a safe 99% of the time. I will try what you recommended however and report back. My other 2 rifles are all tight, action screws and rings included. So my guess is maybe it's that Rem oil messing with them.
Could be the Rem Oil. I always try to let the screws sit for a bit after a dab of lube, ( lets the oil get into the pores ). Then I wipe 'em down . Maybe , but I doubt it, there is something preventing the screws from fully seating, giving the impression they are tight when not.
Years ago, I stocked up on Cop Out, the liquid used in the old Foul Out system, which I have and still use. I use the foaming bore cleaners also. Mostly to save the Cop Out for the stubborn copper.
Never had a problem retaining zero after cleaning. 'Course I prefer setting up on a clean barrel.

Last edited:
Funny, I am on both sides (or maybe it is the middle?) of this - have a factory skinny barrel 30-06 hunting rifle that was always a 0.75 MOA rifle with factory ammo. I didn't bother reloading for it years ago and pre-season zero confirmation was boringly repeatable. I would "clean" it with the Hoppe's kit after every outing and called it good. Eventually the regiment degraded to shoot, run a oily bore snake, wipe down routine because my .308 is 0.5 MOA or better and I never clean it (actually it is 1.5/2 MOA rifle when clean).

Past couple years I thought the '06 barrel was dying, it was becoming (and did become) a 3 MOA rifle despite my "cleaning/fouling", etc... Thought I was cleaning well but I clearly wasn't, I tried some KG2 (like JB Paste and oil) on the recommendation of a friend, used as directed, '06 is back to sub MOA!!

.308 gets oily patch/dry patch on a rag for now. 6.5 regime is TBD.

Sorry to hear that, will hit my knees. How old ?

Funny, I am on both sides (or maybe it is the middle?) of this - have a factory skinny barrel 30-06 hunting rifle that was always a 0.75 MOA rifle with factory ammo. I didn't bother reloading for it years ago and pre-season zero confirmation was boringly repeatable. I would "clean" it with the Hoppe's kit after every outing and called it good. Eventually the regiment degraded to shoot, run a oily bore snake, wipe down routine because my .308 is 0.5 MOA or better and I never clean it (actually it is 1.5/2 MOA rifle when clean).

Past couple years I thought the '06 barrel was dying, it was becoming (and did become) a 3 MOA rifle despite my "cleaning/fouling", etc... Thought I was cleaning well but I clearly wasn't, I tried some KG2 (like JB Paste and oil) on the recommendation of a friend, used as directed, '06 is back to sub MOA!!

.308 gets oily patch/dry patch on a rag for now. 6.5 regime is TBD.
Got an FN in 30-06 made in 1953 with a chrome-vanadium barrel that is the same. Five shots of Federal Premium 150 gr Sierra bt would all be touching/overlapping/same hole. I cleaned regular, but never reloaded for it . Didn't believe I could make it better. Then Federal seemed to switch to Nickel cases. Didn't want them!! Started working up a load for it. Just about finished and I found an internet site that had a whole lot of those Federal factory loads. Stocked up on those. Still gonna finish the handloads of course .

Sorry to hear that, will hit my knees. How old ?

He's just 38 with two small children...

1585840803033.png1585840803033.png

So I did a thing last week out of pure boredom due to this BS virus and being locked in my house, so I scrubbed and cleaned all my rifles with foam cleaner and a nylon brush. Squeaky clean...So I went out to the range yesterday and proceeded to shoot said rifles, 240 why, 280 rem, 7-300 mag. Now these rifles all shoot 1/2 MOA consistently. Well needless to say, they're now shooting about 1.5-3 MOA...I shot around 15 shots out of each and the only ones that started to settle down were the 280 and the 7-300. They're down around 1 MOA. The 240 WBY is still around 2 MOA. Not very happy and I won't be cleaning my barrels anytime soon again until I visibly start to see the groups go to crap. Lesson learned...who knows how long they're going to take to settle back in. Thought it would only take a few rounds honestly. I've never seen these rifles shoot so bad with proven loads in my life. Not a happy camper..
I saved a you tube video from a gentleman who has some pretty impressive credentials, hope this helps.

Got convinced one time to use a copper solvent to clean my barrels...what a huge mistake that was! Never again! Took my rifles quite a few rounds each before the accuracy came back!

My 240 WBY and 7mm had probably 150 rounds through them. The 7mm was still shooting 3/8 MOA before I cleaned it and swapped scopes. The 240 I thought needed cleaned because it was starting to jump 100fps in velocity and my groups were starting to open up to around 1 MOA. So I figured I was getting some carbon build up. The 280 i bought used and didn't know the round count or when it was cleaned last, so i did that one just out of peace of mind. The foam bore cleaner i used is Hoppes elite foam bore cleaner for carbon/lead/copper.
Be careful using the Hoppes Elite cleaning products. And I say that as a lifelong Hoppes #9 user. Hoppes Elite cleaners seem to react with gun oils and together turn to gum.

Sheapardswatch , my payers for your son and your family . There will be so much PTSD after this , we are unfortunately seeing what corpsmen see during combat , now in our towns and hospitals . With out more supplies our medical personal will be forced to make decisions , that no person should ever be forced to make .

You should use an good inch pound torque wrench like a Vortex or something similar. I check and retorque every screw, but and bolt on each rifle I clean. Even with using Loctite I have found screws in my scope mounts and rings that were loose. Usually 3-5 rounds settles my groups. So, I am thinking that you have probably over tightening your stock, removing the float on your barrels. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts