Barrel channel stock modification

J

JEREMY logan

I need advice on what kind of tool I should use to free float my barrel? I have a hs precision stock .

I just happen to have done this to a buddies stock so i will give my advice. First off, if you plan to bed the action (highly recommended), do this first. Make sure the action is where you want it to stay. Then it is just a matter of using a proper sized dowel rod with a peice of sandpaper wrapped around it. Doesnt take much work to free float the barrel. AJ

Last edited:
TOOL:

cncMill.jpg

I just had a broughton 5c barrel chambered to my 300rum . I ask my gunsmith to sraighten the stock as it was leaning to one side, he did not understand me correctly so when i picked it up yesterday he had bedded it all the way down i have an hs stock now you can't get a dollar bill down it at all. Well atleast the barrel is straight now lol. I guess i'll be sanding away tonight.

A dowel rod and sandpaper will get you so far but you could run into the bedding block depending on your barrel contour. If you get down to the aluminum a dremel tool will work but go slow it's real easy to let it get away from you. If sanding doesn't do it for you, have your smith open it back up with his mill. A couple of passes and he'll be done. Good luck and use 60 grit.

I'm not sure why I'm even wasting my time replying to this but, why would someone just show a photo of a $50,000 plus machining center for opening up a barrel channel. We have all read Nesika Chads posts and realize he likes to brag about his cnc equipment. A very very small percentage of people doing gun work can afford to use cnc. I run cnc and manual machines in my shop but I don't brag to the world about it. How about some down to earth answers and leave the high all mighty " I run CNC " crap out.

Thanks everyone for the advice , I have finished my barrel channel I can take a business card and run it down until it touches the recoil lug. Thanks also kevin cram for the info . Now for a little humor I think it's funny that it takes someone a 50,000 dollar machine, to do what I did with a small hammer , flathead screw driver and 60 grit sand paper LOL. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.