Barrel Burners

Kirby, have you noticed if Lilja 3 grooved barrels last longer than others under the same conditions??

Barrel burners depend on many factors but think of your throat like a transmission in a truck. Heat is one of the top enemies. Obviously the longer you let them cool, the better off the throat will be.

This also lends to the philosophical differences in the fabrication of steel. Many bench shooters look at barrels as disposables, and probably quite a few long range hunters. Shoot the throat out and just get a new barrel installed. On the flip side, look at the less popular Walther barrels. Much harder steel, built to last, but hard to work with compared to the softer, higher sulfur content steel tubes. The Germans make their barrels to last a lot longer, not necessarily a lot better or more accurate.

Derek, so do you think Walthers are accuracy wise as good or worse than "softer" steel barrels??

Unkilely barrel burner

I've got a .221FB with a 21" Hart bbl. It originally shot 1/2 moa @ 200 yds all day long with a max load of RE7 or Lil'Gun under a 40gr BT moly coated bullet. At about 1,000 rds I noticed that the rifle was shooting about 1 moa @ 200yds under good conditions.

I had the barrel set back but the accuracy didn't return. The barrel was never shot hot and was cleaned regularly. Is it possible that the barrel is "burnt" after a total of 1,300 rds? Powder charges only ranged from 17.0 - 19.3 gr maximum. Seems unlikely.

What do you think?

Derek, so do you think Walthers are accuracy wise as good or worse than "softer" steel barrels??

Accuracy wise, they are equal in general. Of course, this all depends on the exact calibers as well, but given a caliber, say, .308, the Walther barrel, if chambered, cut, crowned correctly, taking into consideration their unique metallurgy, will outlast the softer steel bbls made in America. The throat will maintain its rigidity longer, it is less susceptible to wear and throat erosion. It is just a difference in philosphy by the bbl makers.

I know a few guys that have 6.5s, 30 cals, etc. with Walther barrels and opine that they are the best they've ever owned. They have about 20-30 years of experience, but it is all subjective.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts