Barrel broke in?

As far as I am concerned, accuracy drives the cleaning need. Once zeroed, I do not want to do ANYTHING to change the accuracy parameters. Been said many different ways but easiest is "let the rifle tell you when it's time" to clean. Nothing worse than chasing drop changes on rifle from cleaning barrel when it didn't need it.

Edit added: I meant to say this is my break in as well. I've done the tedious step by step and no difference.

Last edited:
When I switch out barrels I also switch out brass. I load minimum charges and fire form all the brass before I start serious load development. I shoot and clean after each shot for the first ten and then incrementally increase the rounds between cleaning. The chronograph is your best friend as to determining the state of a new barrel. I haven't seen a reliable round count as to say a guy can shoot 'X' number of rounds for a barrel break in and consider it good to go. Some I have worked with have taken as little as 60 rounds and some have taken better than 100 before things finally even out.

This from Krieger makes the most sense to me. This is what we have been doing. Clean, shoot, clean to see if any copper. No copper, off to the races. My only pause is that we hardly ever see any copper with Hammers.

Attachments

• Krieger barrel break in.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
My question is " will hand lapping with a light abrasive" remove the imperfections as well ???
I've thought about that myself to speed up that process. I came to the conclusion that without a borescope, and more importantly, the ability to determine what it is you are actually seeing exactly that I would probably do more harm than he would good.