Barrel Break In?

Hi,
I am pretty new to slug guns with rifled barrels.
I will be buying a new H&R Ultra Slug Hunter and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 to mount on it.

This is probably a pretty noob-ish question but,
Do any of you do a barrel break-in with your slug guns like you would do with a new rifle?
If so, how should I go about it?

Also,
what else can I do to improve the accuracy?
I'd like to have it shooting as accurately as possible.
My ultimate goal is to get 4" groups at 200 yards.

Thanks in advance,
Evan S.

I have no definitive answer when it comes to barrel break in. I think I accidentally broke in the barrel of my Savage 210 back when I got it in 2002. I knew nothing of barrel break in at the time. I purchased a couple different winchester loads some federals and lightfields. I shot 2-3shot groups of each load cleaning in between brands to try to give each load a fair chance in my little accuracy competition. None of the groups were bad and I would have felt comfortable hunting with any of them. I ended up using Winchester HI-Impacts only because a local retailer was closing out on them and selling them cheap. I have since switched to Win Platinum tips and have loved them.

As far as accuracy goes here is what I try to do. By no means do I call myself an expert, just giving my experiences. Try as many different slugs as you can afford, I use a caldwell lead sled for all my slug gun shooting, I try to sight in as calm a day as possible, and the heavy recoil from slugs can jar things loose so check screw, scope mounts, etc. every so often.

On a seperate note my leica rangefinder has helped me stay within known limits and make ethical long shots.

Hi,
I am pretty new to slug guns with rifled barrels.
I will be buying a new H&R Ultra Slug Hunter and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 to mount on it.

This is probably a pretty noob-ish question but,
Do any of you do a barrel break-in with your slug guns like you would do with a new rifle?
If so, how should I go about it?

Also,
what else can I do to improve the accuracy?
I'd like to have it shooting as accurately as possible.
My ultimate goal is to get 4" groups at 200 yards.

Thanks in advance,
Evan S.

I would have to guess that the answer is no because most slugs are sabot or lead and foul
differently than jacketed bullets.

Sabots do foul but it is plastic and there are solvents for plastics that will remove it.

Lead bullets LEAD FOUL and once again there are products to remove the lead from the bore.

Slug guns are normally rifled and need to be cleaned but for a different reason than copper
fouling.

Also shotguns are relatively slower than rifles sow the normal use should be enough.

Just a guess

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.