Barrel Break in and bullet weight help

340Wby-4-everything

I have a new Browning X-Bolt 25-06 Eclipse. I was wondering if anyone knows if it makes any definitive difference if I break in the barrel using 100gr bullets when my plan is to hunt with 115, 117 and 120grs? Or, should I be using the same weight I plan to hunt with? Or, it just does not matter? Many thanks for your help in advance. Charlie

I have a new Browning X-Bolt 25-06 Eclipse. I was wondering if anyone knows if it makes any definitive difference if I break in the barrel using 100gr bullets when my plan is to hunt with 115, 117 and 120grs? Or, should I be using the same weight I plan to hunt with? Or, it just does not matter? Many thanks for your help in advance. Charlie

No! I normally go through at least a couple of boxes of (factory, if available) ammo before I do any load development.

I agree, it makes little difference what bullet you use. But, how you break it in might! I have been shooting and "religiously" cleaning barrels for many years. Breaking in WAS a long and time consuming process. But now, I have been introduced to a much better way to not only break in a barrel, but saves you a whole lot of needless work and "stuff" to clean with.
A fine barrel maker gave this to my 'smith and I have been following it and have absolutely NO degradation of accuracy. May even be better!
To break in a barrel; pull a bore snake through with oil on it to "wet" the bore. Never shoot a dry bore. By the way, fouling is wetting the barrel.
So to continue break in, shoot five , pull one. That "pull one" is to drop the weight of a bore snake down to barrel from the chamber end, squirt 7 or so drops of oil down it and pull through. Repeat 5 times. After that, pull when ever you want. I have gone a hundred or so before I do it. Again, I have not observed any loss of accuracy.
Think about benchrest shooters. They scrub the dickens out of a barrel, but then shoot it several times to foul it before going to the record target! The fouling is "wetting " the barrel. I haven't been to a benchrest shoot in a while, but I wonder if they are doing this now. No more patches and brushes to use but once ,maybe, after a year of lots of shooting. Easy peasy.

I may get some argument here but I use long shank bullets loaded to normal pressure and shoot several rounds before I clean. In break in you are eroding any roughness in the throat. Powder ejecta and flame is what does that. And I always use sierra bullets as I believe they have the hardest jacket but maybe that is in my head. Works for me.

I agree, it makes little difference what bullet you use. But, how you break it in might! I have been shooting and "religiously" cleaning barrels for many years. Breaking in WAS a long and time consuming process. But now, I have been introduced to a much better way to not only break in a barrel, but saves you a whole lot of needless work and "stuff" to clean with.
A fine barrel maker gave this to my 'smith and I have been following it and have absolutely NO degradation of accuracy. May even be better!
To break in a barrel; pull a bore snake through with oil on it to "wet" the bore. Never shoot a dry bore. By the way, fouling is wetting the barrel.
So to continue break in, shoot five , pull one. That "pull one" is to drop the weight of a bore snake down to barrel from the chamber end, squirt 7 or so drops of oil down it and pull through. Repeat 5 times. After that, pull when ever you want. I have gone a hundred or so before I do it. Again, I have not observed any loss of accuracy.
Think about benchrest shooters. They scrub the dickens out of a barrel, but then shoot it several times to foul it before going to the record target! The fouling is "wetting " the barrel. I haven't been to a benchrest shoot in a while, but I wonder if they are doing this now. No more patches and brushes to use but once ,maybe, after a year of lots of shooting. Easy peasy.

"I" only use bore snake in my .22 LRs. "I" prefer the patches and brushes method, unlike the bore snake, I have the option to have a clean set of patches for every pass, but that's just "me."

Which particular oil do you use in your barrel? Thanks

John, I have been using Ballistol almost exclusively ! I wipe down rifles and shotguns, bores, moving parts, and anything that might rust. It has actually removed light surface rust for me.

Good ! It comes in small containers, sprays and large cans,too. I have all of them. Travel with the small ones. Sprays have their uses,too.

HI guys. I thought I'd add my two cents in. I like to follow Krieger's break in on any new gun. For a polish I like to use USP which has just now come back on the market.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.