Barrel Blocking -- when is it prudent?

Cybra

Hello, folks

Got a little question about blocking a barrel. Situation: .338-378, chambered on Geske Action, no block, 36" tube, 1.450" straight on out. Stocked in a McMillan Prone {I know, weird choice, but originally I had concieved this as a mobile unit to be fired off a bi-pod. It rides the bags good, if I take the time to work the ears into agreement. It IS one heavy S.O.B, though....--limiting my walkable range to about six miles.
grin.gif
} Anyhow, anyone with experience want to comment; was a block necessary? No, yes, maybe? I had been told that it was not, but I am sitting here pondering this, and thought I should ask.
smile.gif

Dave

WOW! I always thought about 34" on out probably needing a block, straight tube, yep that definitly goes that way too. Interesting to hear what others ideas on this are? Sounds like a sweet rifle there!

[ 12-28-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]

How do you like the Geske action? Got their catalog 2 years ago, but went with a Nesika Bay and a Bat action. Kinda liked the 3 lug design for less bolt lift. How does it feel and work? The barrel size sounds awesome. How much does the rifle weigh?

Howdy, Guys...

Yeah, when I had the sucker built, I got some conflicting ideas on blocking. I suspect the general consensus was that, with an action as beefy as the one I was using, blocking would not be necessary. It was the first time I had ever had something like this built, and I've yet to REALLY test it much. It is sweet, though...
smile.gif

The Geske action I like very much. It IS meaty. The ONLY thing I would have to comment less positively on, and I'm echoing Mr. Lilji, if I'm not mistaken, is that the tang could use some cosmetic work. But as far as sound design, I think the action is certainly that. I myself really approve of the three lug design--to my way of thinking, IF all lugs are in flush contact, which mine appear to be, moment off-sets should be minimized. The lock-time is very nice [I believe Mr. Geske uses a titanium firing pin.] And the bolt lift is a bonus, as well.

As for weight, if I REMEMBER <and that is shaky ground>, it's about 30lbs, unloaded. I weighed the rig without the scope, which is about a two pounder, so...32-34 by the time the rings and bases and all that good stuff are there. I'm in Florida now, and everything has been stripped <****>. But, anyhow, I had wondered about the support of such a massive barrel; goes to show I don't know what the hell I'm do'n!
grin.gif

Dave

best thing is to shoot it and see how it shoots.it will more than likely shoot just as good as a blocked gun but the bedding will come apart before to long.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.