Barrel and bolt swap from 22- 250 to 7mm-08

sheep dog

Okay I finally found what I am looking for , I think :D, and was offered a deal that I could not refuse on a savage 10/110 Predator Hunter Max 1 with a scope, however it's in 22-250 and not the 7mm-08 that I want. My question is this, can i replace the bolt head and the barrel to accommodate the 7mm-08? For what I paid for the gun I wont be losing any money by doing this compared to buying a 7mm-08 new.

After further research I found in two places that the bolt head for the 22-250 is the same for the 7mm-08, can anyone verify this? Any suggestions as to this build? Man I am getting excited now lol !

Your bolt face is correct as is. You will need to swap the barrel, set the headspace, and possibly tweak the feeding.

A side note on your swap. If you want to shoot any of the heavier bullets, chose your barrel carefully. Savage put an 11 or 11.25 twist in their 7-08 barrels a couple of years ago. Some reports on shooting bullets heavier than 140 gr, were less than good.

Thanks for that tip. I will be doing more research into the barrel but if need be I will step up to a shilling or criterion to get what I am looking for. I had thought this build to be further down the line for me but after the deal on the gun it looks like its happening now!

The rifle will be mostly for deer but some buddies and I are hoping to get drawn for an elk hunt in a couple years once we have the points. I will want to shoot some heavier loads than what I plan to use for the local southern whitetails :D

Absolutly, the after mark barrels for the savage you can get in the 9.5 twist all over the net. The factory stevens barrels are 11.5 twist and will shot up to 140's good.

FYI I built a 7-08 and it gets alot of time in the woods

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.