Barrel and action froze

Is it a number 6 screw? It could be plunge milled to #8 tap drill size if the barrel was back in its original position. My reasoning is to remove damaged tenon threads in that specific area all the way down to the bottom of the barrel tenon thread form (minor diameter). Then try removing the barrel.
Then you could drill and tap all 4 to #8 if you are successful removing barrel.
Otherwise, cut the barrel off as the above suggestion, rechamber and thread new tenon.
I feel for you.

9F17BC72-3869-4FC2-A1C8-E3DF4BE8A300.jpeg

I wasn't quite as smart and kept turning, yeah…I still do dumb stuff. Copper anti seize is what you're looking at in the threads.

06ACDE34-ED43-4F77-A422-423D90B3FC69.jpeg

After it was cut out…funny, I made it one whole turn…I knew **** well the threads weren't that tight, kept turning 🤬😤🤬

Long story short. Bergara rifle had a broken torx bit in the forward most hole for scope base. Went to remote the barrel from the action so I could have just the action to hand the gunsmith to make his job easier. After I got the first pop when the barrel and action broke loose I had maybe 1/4 turn and it got real tight and I stopped trying to remove the action.

I got the broken torx bit fixed and when I got home and tried to torque the action back onto the barrel I am not able to budge it even a little bit. The hole where the broken torx bit was did not go all the way through the receiver to the barrel threads to gum up the barrel threads.

Any advice as to what has happened and what I can do to fix this would be appreciated.

By the way I'm using a Short Action Custom barre vise and their action wrench.
If you think it's a dimple from the screw being overtightened, being the cause then just drill the screw hole on through into the barrel threads

Is it a number 6 screw? It could be plunge milled to #8 tap drill size if the barrel was back in its original position. My reasoning is to remove damaged tenon threads in that specific area all the way down to the bottom of the barrel tenon thread form (minor diameter). Then try removing the barrel.
Then you could drill and tap all 4 to #8 if you are successful removing barrel.
Otherwise, cut the barrel off as the above suggestion, rechamber and thread new tenon.
I feel for you.
Hi Bob, Bergara's are already 8-40 screws from the factory, I only know this because my Neighbor bought one to compete in our local Long Range matches, I tried to talk him into a Tikka. Anyway I ordered the mount and rings and set him up.

I would think since it is an 8-40 TPI already, You could plunge it with a 0.125 carbide end mill and remove the damage , You would just have to make sure it's centered perfect. 8-40 tap requires #28 drill bit = 0.1405 inches.

Edit to add: To the OP, I can guarantee you the hole is not a blind hole but is tapped all the way through, You have either a piece of broken screw touching the barrel, Or the threads of the barrel tenon have been damaged by the screw that is too long, And when it's turned the damaged barrel threads are not wanting to turn in the receiver threads. I have installed a whole lot of bases and sometimes the screws for the bases have been too long and need to be shortened or replaced with a shorter one. Anyway, I don't remember because it's been a while since I did my neighbors Bergara, But When I was searching for the mount, I seem to recall others having a hard time finding a mount for the Bergara that was right for whatever reason.

I don't quite understand how this happened? Were you removing the screw or installing it? If you were removing it, You should have used a heat gun to melt the Loctite, Just so you know next time.

Last edited:
^^^ this, all of this. They'll likely charge you less than the cost of the tap and you will need a tap to clean up the thread you tore.

I tend to learn things the hard way myself…learned this exact lesson, tore about 1/2 thread. Fortunately, it cleaned up well and I didn't ruin my action. Sucks, but you did well to stop and not force it. One thing you can try that likely won't work but worth a try before you take it to someone…soak it in kroil for a week. If you can't put fair amount of pressure on it and it not break loose…just take it in.
Or try ICE & HEAT in the right areas may aide in removal. Kind of like the barrel removal off a 10/22.
I used the similar method putting prop shaft hub bearings on boats. Place the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours. Or heating a rusted screw. I also know a little heat does help with boogered threads sometimes.

Or try ICE & HEAT in the right areas may aide in removal. Kind of like the barrel removal off a 10/22.
I used the similar method putting prop shaft hub bearings on boats. Place the new bearing in the freezer for a few hours. Or heating a rusted screw. I also know a little heat does help with boogered threads sometimes.

Before Freon was a four letter word, We used to open a can and freeze pins before installing them on Heavy Equipment. This is when a can of R-12 was 40 cents.

Recent Posts