barrel advice/suggestions

mrbb

looking for feedback!

going to build a 7mm08, I plan to build a light to mid weight rifle, looking for a gun about 7lbs or less. one to walk with, with a about a 300 yrd range in mind, not a LONG range gun here! but still want it to be a good shooter!

I am intersted in others advice on what barrel, size and length, brand!
I am leaning towards about a 20-21 inch barrel, but not sure on size of the tube, fultted or not, and if so, what brand barrel! and metal of it, Ss blued, or what ever!

Plan to have the whole rifle coated when done, so, taking advice on what coating too!

thanks for the feedback

looking for feedback!

going to build a 7mm08, I plan to build a light to mid weight rifle, looking for a gun about 7lbs or less. one to walk with, with a about a 300 yrd range in mind, not a LONG range gun here! but still want it to be a good shooter!

I am intersted in others advice on what barrel, size and length, brand!
I am leaning towards about a 20-21 inch barrel, but not sure on size of the tube, fultted or not, and if so, what brand barrel! and metal of it, Ss blued, or what ever!

Plan to have the whole rifle coated when done, so, taking advice on what coating too!

thanks for the feedback

20''to 22" is perfect for the 7/08.

I would recomend a # 4 or #5 Lilja contour1 in 9 twist stainless (Flutes are not nessary to meet
your weight requirements) and only drive the cost up.

As to the finish any of the Teflon based coatings are good.

J E CUSTOM

You may need the help of a gunsmith planning the rifle. Give you an idea on weight a Rem model 7 with out scope weight around 6.5 lbs one model Ruger compact weights 6lbs. Myself I'd be more concern about what action/ stock/scope to use get the weight of those then select barrel and you more than likely #1/2 contour.

+1 with Tom H. Figure out how much everything else weighs not including the barrel and then see how much you have left to play with. 7 pounds is going to be tough (if scope is included) not saying it's not possible.

Last edited:
thanks guys,

as for the gun's weight, well I plan to try to keep things light, but don't want to be over concerned on that as a huge deal breaker.

I am looking at some light weight-ish stocks,
but think I am going to stick with a McMillian, either the model seven , or edge stock
which should help some on weight.

as for actions, I am right now either going with a factory remington, 700
I now have, or maybe a surgeon/ or a holland, for right now
don't think any of these are any lighter than a 700, but do like these actions
I am not a weathy guy, so I am trying to keep it in moderate terms of cost, but don't want to be cheap here

I am looking more for help on the barrel
I have/had a model seven, and felt that that barrel was too thin, got hot fast, and didn't hold a group well, from the factory,
I replaced it with a Hart barrel, at 22 inches, and it shoots like s dream for me.

I am looking to build a second one, but this time I am thinking a little shorter, and maybe a thinner barrel than on the one I NOW have!
I just don't know all that much on barrel sizes to know what a factory model seven bbl was, and how much heavier I can go without it getting into a heavy -ish rifle.
again, I am not looking to build an ULTRA light, but at the same time, I would like it to be light, for long walks!

anyone know what size barrel came on a model seven, factory barrel was a 20 inch ss bbl!( might have been 18" been a long time)
in 7mm08

I would like to go maybe one or 2 sizes up on that, in a flutted bbl! and that's all

what would that be, and what brand bbls would you use if you were building!

I know most log range guys like heavy bbls, and I agree for a long range rig, but I only plan to shoot to 300 yrds with this build, so looking for lighter than heavier!!

thanks again guys

Last edited:
thanks guys,

as for the gun's weight, well I plan to try to keep things light, but don't want to be over concerned on that as a huge deal breaker.

I am looking at some light weight-ish stocks,
but think I am going to stick with a McMillian, either the model seven , or edge stock
which should help some on weight.

as for actions, I am right now either going with a factory remington, 700
I now have, or maybe a surgeon/ or a holland, for right now
don't think any of these are any lighter than a 700, but do like these actions
I am not a weathy guy, so I am trying to keep it in moderate terms of cost, but don't want to be cheap here

I am looking more for help on the barrel
I have/had a model seven, and felt that that barrel was too thin, got hot fast, and didn't hold a group well, from the factory,
I replaced it with a Hart barrel, at 22 inches, and it shoots like s dream for me.

I am looking to build a second one, but this time I am thinking a little shorter, and maybe a thinner barrel than on the one I NOW have!
I just don't know all that much on barrel sizes to know what a factory model seven bbl was, and how much heavier I can go without it getting into a heavy -ish rifle.
again, I am not looking to build an ULTRA light, but at the same time, I would like it to be light, for long walks!

anyone know what size barrel came on a model seven, factory barrel was a 20 inch ss bbl!( might have been 18" been a long time)
in 7mm08

I would like to go maybe one or 2 sizes up on that, in a flutted bbl! and that's all

what would that be, and what brand bbls would you use if you were building!

I know most log range guys like heavy bbls, and I agree for a long range rig, but I only plan to shoot to 300 yrds with this build, so looking for lighter than heavier!!

thanks again guys

The factory 7/08 mod 7 normally comes with an 18.5" #3 contour and the mountain rifle in
7/08 is a #2 contour.

Even though you are only going to shoot 300 yards the # 4 or #5 contour will be more load
forgiving (Less sensitive to variations in pressures and velocities with different bullets).

Look on line at the weights and you will see that the difference between a #3 and a #5
is only .63 pounds (A little more than a hamburger weighs) but the difference in overall performance is many times greater.

You are right about most of us liking heaver barrels but there is a reason and it is accuracy.
Even though you want it light there are other ways to lighten the rifle with out giving up the
overall performance. (A carbon graphite stock can save you a full pound over a wooden version
of the same stock) .

This is just an opinion for what its worth

J E CUSTOM

if using a remington action, look at BERGARA barrel, and do it yourself. Excellent quality and easy to do. The satisfaction of doing it yourself is worth it !

J E CUSTOM , thanks for all the info,

I too like heavier barrels for all there benifits, but again, I am looking to have a walking rifle, one i plan to carry 7-10 miles a day , so lighter is better here than heavier,

I plan to use a light weight stock, but even saving weight there alone, you have to still have a good balance to the whole rig to shoot well in the field, not looking to make it nose heavy!

I contacted a couple barrel company's, and most will not flute a barrel below a #4, so that looks like what I will be doing!
and have it at 20 inches!

thanks, and feel free to suggest more ideas, like to hear what others think on this site, a good group of guys here with tons of experience!

J E CUSTOM , thanks for all the info,

I too like heavier barrels for all there benifits, but again, I am looking to have a walking rifle, one i plan to carry 7-10 miles a day , so lighter is better here than heavier,

I plan to use a light weight stock, but even saving weight there alone, you have to still have a good balance to the whole rig to shoot well in the field, not looking to make it nose heavy!

I contacted a couple barrel company's, and most will not flute a barrel below a #4, so that looks like what I will be doing!
and have it at 20 inches!

thanks, and feel free to suggest more ideas, like to hear what others think on this site, a good group of guys here with tons of experience!

Here an interesting post on 24hr
Lightweight Rifles - 24hourcampfire

If weight is a factor I would consider doing these things

Use a Mcmillian edge stock or other ultralight stock design

Use Talley lightweight rings

Use a Leupold ultralight scope in 2-7x28 or 3-9x33

You can get a rem 700 action lightened but its not cheap... I would pass

I bet a trued rem 700 with a match grade 20" #1 contour barrel will shoot clover leafs.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.