Barnes XLC

TGScott

Anybody out there have much experience with the Barnes coated bullets? Their manual claims and shows velocity increases of up to 200fps. over their non-coated bullets of the same weight. Is this realistic? How good is their coating re. fouling etc.? Does it share some of the reported concerns that moly has (rust)? Are they generally accurate (I realize every rifle has its preference but some bullets such as the ballistic tip have a reputation for accuracy)

TS

I have a little time with the XLC's. They are worth a shot. Most of the time they are hard to get accurate. The coat does help on fouling and I dont think it encourages rust. Alot of the time it helps reduce pressure. Sometimes like in a 308, you cant get enough powder in the case to really utilize the velocity increase. 48 grains of RL-15 only gets me 2900 FPS with the 150 XLC. My 100 yard accuracy is also only .6 of an inch. If I were hunting elk at 400 yards it would be a good load but for where I mostly hunt, its not practical. I stick to SMK's and AMAX's I get them super accurate and I can get the 155's faster than the 150 XLC because I dont get the pressure loss and I am already using a full case of powder. No more room to get the pressur back.

For somthing like an 06 or 300, they would do better in that department. Provided the barrel shot them accuratley

The Barnes X bullet (naked) is arguable the most difficult bullet in the world to get to group.
Of all the rifles that I have shot the X bullet in, only my 7mm-08 can shoot them into .75" @ 200yds. When I tried to substitute the Barnes XBT (coated) in the same weight, the bullet holes were all over the place. Returning to naked X bullets returned the group to .75", but this sure is the exception.
Those darn bullets are a pain in the *** to get to shoot but their terminal performance is something to behold. I have shot many Pa whitetails with the 140gr X bullet launched from my 7STW. I have yet to recover a single bullet. They just keep going and going and...............
shocked.gif

VH

My rifle has, incredably shot all the Barnes X bullets well. Not sure why. Just loaded it basically like a SMK, only a little hotter.

I would advise to get the Barnes Triple Shock if I wanted to fool with the Barnes stuff. No flies on the XLC!! Fine bullet, with minimal fouling.

I got a 168gr. TSX, RL22 going about 3260fps fairly easily. And SMK like accuracy. Both bullets are good in my rifle.

Some have found the Barnes line to be fickle, with alot of fouling. My results have been the opposite..sakofan..Great stuff.
wink.gif

[ 01-22-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

I did quite a bit of testing with the 100g XLC out of my 25/06. I will say they are a pain in the *** and the most finicky bullet I have ever loaded for. And I got a hold of Barnes and talked to them, I followed there barrel cleaning and seating depth procedures all to no avail. It took me at least a full box of 50 bullets, to find a halfway decent group, 1-2 inches at 100 yards. Still not even close to acceptable by my standards. I finally thought I had the load when I put 3 shots into .4" at 100 yards. I went home, loaded up the rest of the shells with that same god **** load and everything, went to the range the next day to sight in and they were all over the **** target once again. Plain worthless I tell you. I spent more than $100 trying to find a load with the Barnes XLC, I finally gave up and went back to the 115g BT. I did however shoot a fork buck and let me tell you that was the nastiest hole I ever got out of my 25/06 on a deer. I took a picture of the entrance and exit hole for proof what a little 25/06 100g bullet did to a deer, got it in my photo album. I just wish they would shoot a lot more accurately more consistently.

I started with the X, then the "improved" X with secant ogive, then the XBT and XLC, TSX and TTSX. I used the XLC before the LEE FCD was available. To get any real speed with the 185 XLC in a 338WM, I had to really compress the powder ( R19 was the worst) I had to settle on H4350 and about 3000 fps (killed my elk at 250yds). As mentioned they are so slick, some cases can't push them fast enough. I used the 50XLC in a .221 Fireball carbine for a shoat. It made a 50 cal hole through both shoulders. Apples/oranges. Today, if I were to work up a load with anything in XLC, I would use the LEE FCD and crimp the devil out of them, with any powder I tried! Good luck, they are deadly.....IF you can get them to shoot, ha.

Last edited:
Tried the 180 XLC in my 30/378 years ago. The velocity was great but as others posted MOA one day shot gun the next. JME

I may be incorrect, but the "up to 200 fps" claim was over the original X bullet.....not the grooved Triple Shock! The grooved Triple Shocks pretty much corrected all of the issues with the original X Bullet....including the usual lower velocity.

We've got a couple of boxes of the XLC's for my wife's .338 WM. They are kept, only as an "emergency" back-up bullet reserve!

I don't think that they are still available. So, unless you have a large supply or a ready source.....I don't think I waste precious components building a load with them! JMO. memtb

Great hunting bullet !! I used them for a long time until my 140 grain 7mm's ran out...there not benchrest by any stretch but any big games vital area is at least a basketball in size...wish I had some...

One reason XLCs were inconsistent is the compressed powder charges usually need for speed would "push" the bullet out of the case. This affected COAL of course. It was so slick that neck tension was irrelevant to a degree. That's why I suggested the use of a FCD. I will say this...when the TSX came out, I found that I could use the same load data as the XLCs listed in the Barnes manual! I too agree Big Time that the TSX fixed the fouling/accuracy issues and the TTSX ( IMHO) fixed the "iffy" expansion issues of the TSX.

I used the old 50gr XLC in a little CZ 221 Fireball rifle w/o using a FCD. It made a 50 caliber hole all the way through a 75 pound shoat. Pigs are denser than comparable sized coyote/deer, etc. I find them to be a very good "bullet test". The XLCs were a great idea, at the time. With the original X, I have pulled out some hair that I could really use "now", ha.