barnes ttsx or nosler partition

I think you'll be fine with either, but I favor the TTSX. For whitetail up close, stick to a lighter bullet. They'll open fine, kill stuff, and not destroy 1/2 the animal. Partitions are deadly, but I've had them leave 8" exit wounds in light animals up close when they encounter bone. Go with whatever shoots the best. Yeah, the Barnes might foul a bit, but just stay on top of it and it's no big deal.

i found that if i load for both the 165 ttsx and some 168 berger vld hunters that both shoot right at a half inch. decided to go with the 168 bergers that are going 3120 verse the 165 ttsx which is only going 2900
Berger's destroy a lot of meat. Barnes don't.

Go with the Bergers. I tried the 168gr Hybrid in my 7mm Rem Mag and loved it, gave a coues deer a nice dirt nap. Double lung hit and no meat damaged.

Stay of the shoulder though, your bullet is going too fast for a close range shot, it'll fragment and fail to penetrate.

Stay safe

The Nosler partition gives you one advantage on deer, black bear size animals. They open quickly on a broad side shot. Or penetrate deeply for those not perfect angle shots to get to the Lungs and Heart. The Nosler partition will penetrate through the ribs then make a foot ball size damage area, And make a good drain hole on the other side.

Velocity might very results. However, the Barnes is a excellent bullet. The Partition would probably gives you a larger mushroom which contributes to a better blood channel. Somehow I have seen Kudu running much further with Barnes bullets in my .270Win behind the shoulders. I can only gues that the explosion of the lead front tip of the Partition contributes towards some "hydraulic shock" which would result in a quicker downfall of the animal.

Went to Barnes TTSX five years ago and haven't looked back. My only on game experience is with the .358" 180 Gr bullet. I do intend to use the TTSX in my other hunting rifles/calibers just haven't had time to do the load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.