Barnes ttsx in 308 win

SamuelBerryhill308

Like the title says has Any used the 150 grain in 308 I'm trying to get some loaded for my dads rifle and on barnes web sight they say to start .050 off the lands so I tryed that with the available to us powder in .3 grains from starting charge to max and best group was a inch and worst was 1 1/2 in at 100 my. Question is do they like jump or being close to the lands and yes I know every rifle will shoot them different but I would like some insight please and this is first time for us with all coppers and I'm about to order hammers for my rifle and this is kind of a trile run for me as well thanks

For the most part I think the average jump for Barnes are around there. I was loading up some 175 grn LRXs last year for my Dad's Tikka 308. I couldn't get it under 1 MOA until I treated them like Bergers and sat them .005" off the lands. That got them down to around .75 MOA. Problem was they were seating so far out now they didn't fit into the standard short action Tikka Mag. So I had to buy a long action bolt stop and LA Mag. If that doesn't work for you the hammers will I'm sure!

Like yours, my wife's 308 is limited by mag length. They are jumping about .200 in her rifle and the best I can get is about MOA. They sure work though.

Attachments

• Tanzania 466.jpg
    Tanzania 466.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 207
I use TTSX bullets in my Kimber Mtn. Ascent and my M1A rifles with good results (MOA in the semi auto rifles and half MOA in the Kimber). I can't recall how far off the lands I am with the Kimber but I know I'm around .090" off (depending on which semi auto rifle) in the M1A rifles. I use 168 to 180 grain bullets so I suspect that I'd be even further off with the lighter bullet.

Thanks everyone for the help I'm going to load some with my best group a little closer and alittle farther and see what happens thanks again

I wouldn't discount the 168 TTSX in your .308
I load them in a good friend's 700 SS Mountain rifle with a near max charge of Varget and it is 1/2 MOA out to 500 yards and
2780 FPS in a 22" barrel. That's 30'06 velocity and it is quite effective on all kinds of game...
Sounds like. Very good combo for sure

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.