Barnes TTSX 180g report

Great Buck!!!
I switched to Barnes x bullets in 1995 after a few bad experiences with pushing small bullets to fast and picking up the pieces.
Since then my family has taken approximately
30 mule deer...2 points to 200"
8 elk.......5 points to 385"
2 shirus moose
1 goat
Half a dozen antelope
In calibers .243, 25-06, 257Weatherby, 7MM Mag, 7MM WSM, 7MM STW, 7MM Ultra Mag, 308, 30-06, & 300 Win Mag,
Most were hand loads with a few factory rounds .
Probably 95% have been one shot kills with most being lung shots broad side.
I have never experienced the run for a mile after being shot like some others. In fact the reason I converted everyone to Barnes was the first 3 deer we shot were lung shots that dropped within 10 yards. Before, using off the shelf ammo, I was used to lunging them and having them go 50 to 100 yds and expire.
Ranges have been from 50 yds to about 550 yds with the average being about 300yds.
The earlier "X" and XLC's seemed to be quite finicky about how they shot out of different guns. I could usually find a load that worked though. The TSX and TTSX seem to be easier to get to group, although we have a 300 Win Mag that absolutely refuses to like any Barnes bullit.
I had a bad experience with 338 accubond that went to pieces on a mooses leg, so I will put up with the small inconviences of the Barnes because I know they will stay together.

I keep shooting the barnes because the accuracy is fantastic out of all my guns. I just got back from the range on tues where i tried some trophy grade ammo with the 180 accubonds. Every gun i own will not shoot the accubonds. My 300 ultra mag was shooting 4 inch groups at 100yds and twice that at 200yds. I am not talking handloads, because i am not set up for that yet. I shot the cor-bon 180 TTSX and only had to shoot 3 rounds at 100 and 3 rounds at 200 to verify my zero. I got 1/2" at 100 and .97" at 200. I cant ask for any better out of factory ammo. Velocity is 3187 average from a 26" tube. My hunt is coming up in 2 weeks so i will post more after the hunt.gun)

Beautiful Muley! I think the pictures say it all, as another member said, 8" forward = DRT. Congrats on your deer! I'm using 180 grain TSX's on a mule deer/elk hunt in Colorado in a few weeks, great bullets, just aim for bone.

Awesome Buck!
Want to say its because of guys like you that make this site so enjoyable.
Going back and looking at pics and then changing your mind about what might have happened. You dont find that on other forums. It is also nice to have all the replies in such a thoughful manner.
I just found this site recently and never thought I could be so impressed with everyone.
It sure is a breath of fresh air compared to other sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts