Barnes TTSX 150 or 168 gr in .308 Win?

I have been using a 300 WSM loaded with 168 TSX then when made available TTSX, with 0.5 MOA. The elk I have taken with both versions, the bullets never exited the animal except for last year. I often found the bullets on the opposite side next to the hide with approximately (not Weighed) 90% weight retention, meaning all of the energy was spent on the animal. The one that completely penetrated through and through went through the rib cage destroyed the heart and exited through the shoulder blade with only a small hole and minimal meat damage. All shots are 400 M =/- 50 M.
I have hit other animals in the shoulder and in some cases the entire shoulder was destroyed. I only use Barnes for hunting!

I'm using 175 lrx barnes, 210m, ww760. I use them becouse they expand down to 1500 fps. At 2850, that gives me more range with a bc of 508. Groups very good in my savage stock barrel at .125

FWIW - I've been shooting the 130gr TTSX in my .308Win and have found it to be exceptionally accurate. Groups of 1.6"- 1.8" were achieved at 400yds. My current load is 46.5gr of Benchmark in a Lapua case with a Fed 210M primer. Velocity is 3,130 ft/sec.

A frontal shot on a nice 8 point buck pole axed him to the ground. Quickest kill I have ever seen.
I have to agree with Varmint Hunter. The 130 ttsx will serve you well. I am a Barnes lover, and have had great luck with them, given proper delivery velocity. That said, I'm almost afraid at 308 velocity, the 168, may not open. Msybe so, with the 150. But I know the 130, will perform as designed. A stiff load of Varget, and you're on your way. Hope this helps, good luck, and be safe.

Thanks for the input from all! I picked up some 130 gr. and have a few of the 150 gr. on hand already to try out. I also snagged some Varget to work up for loads with both. Might have to shelve the 168's for 300 Win Mag loads. Are my concerns regarding the stability of these lighter bullets in the 1:10 twist unwarranted?

I don't know if you have measured the twist in your barrel, but I think that the standard twist rate for the 308 Winchester is actually 1:12". That may have changed in recent years, but traditionally that is the standard. My old Browning 308 is rifled that way, and 180-grain jacketed bullets have always worked just fine. I think that the 150-grain Barnes is about as long as most 180-grain cup & core 30-caliber bullets. If your rifle does in fact have a 1:10" twist, you should be in very good shape. Like most of the replies seen here so far, my tendency would be to go to a lighter, not heavier, Barnes bullet.

Wanted to thank all the replies and input on here. Final update on my load development: I settled on the 130 TTSX behind 53.4 gr of Win 748 in Lapua brass with Fed GM210M primers. First hunt with it last weekend, and it absolutely crushed this 3×2 blacktail at 291 yards. He was dead before his body hit the ground. Already looking forward to future outings with it.
20200810_221538.jpg

That's awesome brother. I've been liking that bullet for quite a while now.

good luck and shoot straight y'all

Wanted to thank all the replies and input on here. Final update on my load development: I settled on the 130 TTSX behind 53.4 gr of Win 748 in Lapua brass with Fed GM210M primers. First hunt with it last weekend, and it absolutely crushed this 3×2 blacktail at 291 yards. He was dead before his body hit the ground. Already looking forward to future outings with it.View attachment 208507
How fast is it going?

In a 308 I would look at the 150gr. I shot those in a 300 win mag with good results. I am now working up a load the the 168gr for the 300.

I would go lighter in a 308 though to get more speed. I might try some 150gr in my buddies 3006 soon.

I didn't chrono it. I have shot it at various distances up to 500 yds, and its practical trajectory is relatively consistent with a velocity in the 3,110 - 3,120 fps range, according to data from JBM.

That sounds about right to me - plenty fast enough to let the air out of a nice blacktail buck .........

Wanted to thank all the replies and input on here. Final update on my load development: I settled on the 130 TTSX behind 53.4 gr of Win 748 in Lapua brass with Fed GM210M primers. First hunt with it last weekend, and it absolutely crushed this 3×2 blacktail at 291 yards. He was dead before his body hit the ground. Already looking forward to future outings with it.View attachment 208507
Good choice using the 130 grain. Whole advantage to the Barnes is lighter bullets penetrate well. The velcoity you gain, mine are doing 3150 FPS out of a 21" NULA using 4895, WW brass and CCI mag primers. The extra velocity is a big advantage. If I shoot heavier bullets I used Hornady BT Interlocks in 150 or 180. Softer bullet expands better at distance, though the 150s are still leaving at 2950 fps.

The 130 TSX have killed bear, deer, moose and elk. Pass throughs on all animals, have never recovered a bullet, even on the Elk I shot at 550 yards.

I took a deer this fall with Barnes TTSX-BT 168 grain. It performed beautifuly, four petals and the bullet lodged just under the offside skin. I had no problem with It expanding. Barnes has suggested dropping weight so arguably I could/should have used 150 grain, but hey, with the 168, I can load both for my 06 and my 308. By the way, this year I took one deer with the .308 and one with the 30-06. They both worked as advertised.