Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Which is the better hunting bullet?

• Total voters
Question:
which one is the better bullet on a 270 Win, the 130gr tsx or the 140 gr accubond?
What would thel result be on entering and exiting of these two bullets on an animal?

Question:
which one is the better bullet on a 270 Win, the 130gr tsx or the 140 gr accubond?
What would thel result be on entering and exiting of these two bullets on an animal?
At what range? You can expect more expansion from the Accubond at any range but the terminal effects are going to depend greatly on the velocity upon impact.

i saw a show from midway usa testing the tsx, sierra, partition and ballistic tip. the results from the tsx were very impressive and damaging especially when they added elk pelt and femur bone into the gelatin. the tsx shattered the bone and caused lots of internal damage with a complete pass through.
Does anyone have any idea why the didn't include the accubonds?

I've had several nosler partitions in .270, .338, and .375 caliber that have come apart. Their claim to fame is that they make a nice mushroom, and the back half stays together. My reality is that they do not always look so pretty and often lose much of their weight due to portions of the bullet either blowing off when it hits bone, or ripping away from the core when it encounters bone or flesh it does not agree with. I have killed many animals with Barnes TSX / TTSX and have been satisfied on animals as small as coyotes up to a very large and angry Shiras bull moose. All but a few bullets have gone completely through the animals, but those I have recovered generally retain over 90% of their weight after hitting bone. The nosler E-tip is a great bullet as well with the accuracy edge slightly to the E-tip over the Barnes in my guns. I have used the accubond on a few deer, and none of them made it very far requiring no second shots, however examination of the bodies showed me I would not want to use an accubond on an Elk...simply too frangible a bullet IMO.

i saw a show from midway usa testing the tsx, sierra, partition and ballistic tip. the results from the tsx were very impressive and damaging especially when they added elk pelt and femur bone into the gelatin. the tsx shattered the bone and caused lots of internal damage with a complete pass through.
Does anyone have any idea why the didn't include the accubonds?
Probably because under the same condition the Accubond would have exploded when it hit the femur producing in all likelihood a wounded animal.

all the way to 500 yrds.
At short and medium range if you hit something hard with the Accubond it's going to blow up. The TSX and bullets I was recommending will open and punch a hole right through them.

The Accubond is recommended for light to medium game only unless you are talking long range where the TSX, Partition etc may not open well at all.

If you plan on punching through hard stuff the Accubond is not the best of choices.

It's construction and design afterall were with a long range target bullet in mind not as a hunting bullet.

At short and medium range if you hit something hard with the Accubond it's going to blow up. The TSX and bullets I was recommending will open and punch a hole right through them.

The Accubond is recommended for light to medium game only unless you are talking long range where the TSX, Partition etc may not open well at all.

If you plan on punching through hard stuff the Accubond is not the best of choices.

It's construction and design afterall were with a long range target bullet in mind not as a hunting bullet.

Is this an opinion? Where did you here, or read this information? Can you post a link?
I'm pretty certain your Way Off base here. I suppose as long as opinions , & not actual facts are thrown out there, then maybe the "elk in texas are almost as tough as the Doberman sized whitetails"? Must be real big boned......:D sorry w/r I couldn't resist being a smart *** for a minute.

Back to the issue, the Accubond is not a light to medium game bullet. It's a bonded bullet for goodness sake. They're tough as nails, & yet they still expand.
With my little 270WSM, I've punched Deer & broke both fronts leg bones, flipping one of the legs over the deers back, & tore the brisket in half. I've smoked an Oregon book black bear at high velocity (3100 fps @ muzzle) at 27 yards & recovered the bullet. Most standard bullets would've grenaded. My cousin has piled up the deer, & a few Elk with his 270WSM & Accubonds.

My -06 racked up a number of Deer, Elk, & Bear with 180 Accubonds, as has my 338 Win Mag with 225's. Buddies 300Wby has done very well with 180 Accubonds on Elk, Dads 338 winmag, & another buddies 338winmag on deer, elk, & bear. Cousins 270win on Deer Elk & a cougar.

I could go on for a long long time about folks I know praising the performance on Elk, & even Moose size game of the Accubond out of a number of cartriges, most of which I've witnessed
first hand.

I don't have anything bad to say about Barnes bullets. I've never personally tried em on any game.
But I've hered & read plenty of horror stories concerning them penciling thru. I've hered praise about them too, but enough negative feedback that I'll pass on giving em a whirl. Just as many positives, & negatives on Bergers blowing up. Same thing, I'll pass.
To me, it looks like Barnes are great bullets for quartering shots, & bone braking, & work well when used within thier limits, & modest ranges.
Bergers are good for bucking the wind, & extend your range, & look, to me, like a dedicated LR only, target bullet that works on critters way out there.
Accubond fits right in the middle from 0-800yds in most of my guns depending on cartrige, & critter. Don't have to hit bone or miss bone to make it work right, but you can hit or miss bone at a variety of ranges, & still count on having excellent terminal performance on Big or small critters.

I'm aware that some shooters have used Barnes at long range with success, & Bergers at close range with success.
I just feel more confident operating within the envelope that a bullet was designed for. Proven Big game bullets at a wide variety of ranges, from near to far is what I'm after. Not a specialized bullet, unless I anticipate a specific situation.

-While I'd be comfortable using an Accubond, or Partition for a big ol Brown Bear/Griz or something up close & personal, I can definitely respect the devastating terminal performance, & penetration of a Barnes for game like that at the modest ranges typical of that species brushy haunts.

-For ELR I can definitely respect the Bergers superior downrange performance & B.C. but I personally would not be comfy using it on dangerous game, or at close range.

Just a personal choice for where, what, & how I hunt at most ranges I will shoot game.

Last edited:
Is this an opinion? Where did you here, or read this information? Can you post a link?
I'm pretty certain your Way Off base here. I suppose as long as opinions , & not actual facts are thrown out there, then maybe the "elk in texas are almost as tough as the Doberman sized whitetails"? Must be real big boned......:D sorry w/r I couldn't resist being a smart *** for a minute.

Back to the issue, the Accubond is not a light to medium game bullet. It's a bonded bullet for goodness sake. They're tough as nails, & yet they still expand.
With my little 270WSM, I've punched Deer & broke both fronts leg bones, flipping one of the legs over the deers back, & tore the brisket in half. I've smoked an Oregon book black bear at high velocity (3100 fps @ muzzle) at 27 yards & recovered the bullet. Most standard bullets would've grenaded. My cousin has piled up the deer, & a few Elk with his 270WSM & Accubonds.

My -06 racked up a number of Deer, Elk, & Bear with 180 Accubonds, as has my 338 Win Mag with 225's. Buddies 300Wby has done very well with 180 Accubonds on Elk, Dads 338 winmag, & another buddies 338winmag on deer, elk, & bear. Cousins 270win on Deer Elk & a cougar.

I could go on for a long long time about folks I know praising the performance on Elk, & even Moose size game of the Accubond out of a number of cartriges, most of which I've witnessed
first hand.

I don't have anything bad to say about Barnes bullets. I've never personally tried em on any game.
But I've hered & read plenty of horror stories concerning them penciling thru. I've hered praise about them too, but enough negative feedback that I'll pass on giving em a whirl. Just as many positives, & negatives on Bergers blowing up. Same thing, I'll pass.
To me, it looks like Barnes are great bullets for quartering shots, & bone braking, & work well when used within thier limits, & modest ranges.
Bergers are good for bucking the wind, & extend your range, & look, to me, like a dedicated LR only, target bullet that works on critters way out there.
Accubond fits right in the middle from 0-800yds in most of my guns depending on cartrige, & critter. Don't have to hit bone or miss bone to make it work right, but you can hit or miss bone at a variety of ranges, & still count on having excellent terminal performance on Big or small critters.
After witnessing what I have seen with the accubond I would consider it at close range <200 yards at best a light to medium game bullet. I've had them pretty much detonate when I've hit critters close with 8mm diameter bullets (200 grainers @ 3125 fps). Hasn't ever prevented me from killing my target, but it HAS in my opinion wrecked much more meat than was necessary. I butcher all my own critters and I would never think of putting any sort of "shock-meat" into the sausage pile if a lead bullet detonated in any fashion, I wouldn't worry so much about it with a solid copper bullet. Nice part about an X bullet (if you use a proper size caliber for critter selection) is that it still does plenty of damage without needless damage. I would look at bullets like I look at automobiles. They are rated for a certain "range" of performance. Any midsize SUV would pass a crash damage test at 45 miles per hour, but the same vehicle at 75 would turn to smoking twisted metal. Same with bullets. The bonded bullets work beautifully when they are placed perfectly within a certain velocity range. Place them through bunches of bone at high velocity and many of them go to pieces. Partitions, A-Frames, Bearclaws, Accubonds, etc. have all given me what I consider sub-optimal performance. Even when you hot rod the X bullet and the petals shave off, you still have the rear of the bullet which will stay together where copper encapsulated lead will likely separate.

first hand.

I'm aware that some shooters have used Barnes at long range with success, & Bergers at close range with success.
I just feel more confident operating within the envelope that a bullet was designed for. Proven Big game bullets at a wide variety of ranges, from near to far is what I'm after. Not a specialized bullet, unless I anticipate a specific situation.

-While I'd be comfortable using an Accubond, or Partition for a big ol Brown Bear/Griz or something up close & personal, I can definitely respect the devastating terminal performance, & penetration of a Barnes for game like that at the modest ranges typical of that species brushy haunts.

-For ELR I can definitely respect the Bergers superior downrange performance & B.C. but I personally would not be comfy using it on dangerous game, or at close range.

Just a personal choice for where, what, & how I hunt at most ranges I will shoot game.

That's what i was thinking as well plus the accubonds group nicely on my rifle. bullet selection has to be one of the touchiest topics in my opinion

After witnessing what I have seen with the accubond I would consider it at close range <200 yards at best a light to medium game bullet. I've had them pretty much detonate when I've hit critters close with 8mm diameter bullets (200 grainers @ 3125 fps). Hasn't ever prevented me from killing my target, but it HAS in my opinion wrecked much more meat than was necessary. I butcher all my own critters and I would never think of putting any sort of "shock-meat" into the sausage pile if a lead bullet detonated in any fashion, I wouldn't worry so much about it with a solid copper bullet. Nice part about an X bullet (if you use a proper size caliber for critter selection) is that it still does plenty of damage without needless damage. I would look at bullets like I look at automobiles. They are rated for a certain "range" of performance. Any midsize SUV would pass a crash damage test at 45 miles per hour, but the same vehicle at 75 would turn to smoking twisted metal. Same with bullets. The bonded bullets work beautifully when they are placed perfectly within a certain velocity range. Place them through bunches of bone at high velocity and many of them go to pieces. Partitions, A-Frames, Bearclaws, Accubonds, etc. have all given me what I consider sub-optimal performance. Even when you hot rod the X bullet and the petals shave off, you still have the rear of the bullet which will stay together where copper encapsulated lead will likely separate.

Well, I guess to each thier own. I suppose if you shoot short range, high velocity,(tearing petals off a Barnes is impressive, let alone partitions, & bearclaws dissapointing) & always hit bone the Barnes is great. Its terminal performance reputation just doesn't impress for me for downrange or broadside shots. I don't like to limmit myself.

I cut all my meat as well, save the bear sausage my buddy makes better than I do. I like the lack of mess I get with the Accubond. (with exception to that buck I mentioned earlier that I basically tore in half. Hit a lil bit low, & a lil bit forward, so it was shooter error not bullet failure) Plenty of wound cavitation, but not shredding the bullet apart. I purposely gave up on standard bullets & chose the Accubond because it stays togather.

We apparently have exact opposite opinions, & experiences on this issue. I'm cool with that. I truly wish you all the success in the world on your hunts, & adventures with your chosen bullet. I'll stick with mine.

That's what i was thinking as well plus the accubonds group nicely on my rifle. bullet selection has to be one of the touchiest topics in my opinion

Yes, your absolutely right. There is no right answer for everyone. Everyone hunts different, at different ranges, on different size critters, with different cartriges, & different terminal performance expectations.

W/R I hope you knew I was being a smart *** earlier, not taking personal shots.
I re-read that post, & it appeared a bit edgy. That wasn't my intention to be offensive. It was supposed to be funny (see smiley face)

first hand.

It's the opinion of the people who produced it, Nosler.

It is recommended only for light to medium game, not large game, not dangerous game.

The information is on their website.

As far as deer goes, well they are considered to medium sized thin skinned game so they are well within what the bullet is designed for.

Elk and Moose are not.

It's the opinion of the people who produced it, Nosler.

It is recommended only for light to medium game, not large game, not dangerous game.

The information is on their website.

As far as deer goes, well they are considered to medium sized thin skinned game so they are well within what the bullet is designed for.

Elk and Moose are not.

Kinda odd since they "rate thier bullets use" by weight & caliber with a picture of the critter on the box. Send me your Email & I'll send you a pic. I'm too technology retarded to post pics on LRH from my phone.
30 cal 180, & 200 gr say -& I'm quoting the box here in my hands-
"Game recommendations depending on caliber" -first line.
Next line says
"Deer, Elk, Bear, Moose, African Game"
on the box with a neat picture of an Elk under the caption.

Now it does not say this for the 30 cal 165's, or the 277 cal 140's, but they work great on Elk too from experience.

So maybe you shoot a smaller caliber gun? Or maybe prefer a lighter weight faster bullet for caliber? Maybe Nosler doesn't classify the Accubond they make for a smaller caliber to be worthy of the Deer, Elk, Bear, Moose, African Game stamp? I dunno. I have a relatiave-in-law (is that a word?:D) who works for Nosler. All the Accubonds are made the same way. Nosler is just down the road from my house by about 15 min. I'll try to swing into the pro shop after work next week & ask how they come up with thier rating system.
But I can certainly show you proof on the box that they are not in any way considered for light or medium game in 30 cal 180, & 200gr, or 338 cal 225 gr.
Nor can I find any literature on the box of 30 cal 165's or 270 cal 140's that indicate small or medium game thin skinned game, but I will concede that it doesn't say deer elk bear moose African game on either of those boxes.

Oh, & fyi, & to clear up miss information on this thread, you & anyone else can Google Nosler reloading, click on products, click on Accubond, scroll down & read the big red letters that say GAME RECOMENDATIONS, DEER ELK BEAR MOOSE AFRICAN GAME.
Nowhere on that page of the Nosler website did it say light thin skinned, or medium anything regarding Accubonds.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.