Barnes TSX BT in 300 Win Mag...

Gunner1

I'm really interested in loading this round for hunting deer/black bear this coming fall. The Barnes recipe for this round calls for a max charge of 71.0 grains of IMR 4831 pushing the 180gr. bullet to 2995 fps. It was the most accurate load in their testing. Has anyone else loaded this round and if so, what were your results?

I've loaded the 168 gr. TSX and TTSX in my 300 win mag and could only get about a 3" group at 100 yards. I switched to the 200 gr. LRX and am getting 1.25" groups at 100 yards. I'm working on that one to see if I can tighten that load up a bit. My buddy shoots the 168 TSX out of his 300 win mag and gets about a 1" group at 100 yards. I think his MV is about 3100 FPS out of a 28" barrel. He uses H4831sc but I'm not sure about his powder charge level.

I had good luck with the tipped tsx 180gr. I believe I was using 7828 or MRP. I settled on the 200 lrx so I didn't pursue it.

gunner1

A couple thoughts for you on Barnes bullets. The tipped TSXs seem to expand better than the TSX. They also kill better if you go light for caliber and jack up the velocity above 3,000 fps. They also are not so great for DRT past 600 yards. There are of course examples where everything I just said is wrong. I'm running the 210 TTSX out of my 338 RUM at 3,200 fps. It hammers everything without meat damage. If you think you want to really shoot stuff past 600 yards switch to Bergers where heavy for caliber is the rule and that also buys you better BC.

I somewhat agree with Eng 101...bergers are hard to beat! I shoot and love the Tipped TSXs...completely awesome on everything from skunks to 6x6 elk! I have shot from 70 yards in the forests of Wisconsin on whitetails to 800 yds on Colorado elk and one poor in the wrong place skunk that just raided the neighbors food stocks @ 688...uphill both ways :)

If you shoot the barnes you will ALWAYS have 99% weight retention... a darn good BC... a tipped bullet which the nose of those in the mag doesn't get bugered up. Every one I have recovered did exactly as advertised in its opening on impact. I watched my best friend pump one into the shoulder blades of a monster bull @ 600 and it rocketed throung both shoulder like a hot knife and it acted like a sabot tank round in trying to suck out the lungs thru that offside shoulder hole. It even made chips like a saw blade.

I shoot a 300 wsm but the difference is nill. My $0.02...good luck with your bullet hunt!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.