Barnes TSX .308 load data

bshaw

Hey Guys

Picked up some Barnes 180 Gr. TSX bullets today, trying to get some load data for Varget or RL-15, in .308 win, nothing on the Barnes web site for these two powders. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

bshaw

I've played with a quite a few tsx's over the years. They don't seem to be alot different than other cup and core bullets of the same wt. (not making signifcantly more or less pressure) I would start about 2.5 grains under your fav 180 loads at about .050" off the lands and go to the range with your chrono.
However....I do have to say that the 180 is long and is going to eat up a ton of case capacity in that 308. I do not see any use for something that heavy in the .308. A 168/165 tsx will do anything the 180 will do and do it a bit faster and flatter. I wouldn't even hesitate to recomend a 150 tsx or nosler e-tip as being really good medicine for anything up to and including elk.

You can use load data for other 180 grain bullets...the TSX's will generate less pressure anyways.

I have done it with 130's, 150's, and 168's...the 168's are the VERY BEST of them...especially for a 308.

Thanks Guys

I agree with you that the 180 is a hefty pill in a .308. I have a very good load for the Nosler 180 B Tip of 42 Gr. RL-15. I picked up these Barnes 180's because they were on a close out sale at my local shop (20. bucks). Looking at them they seem ridiculously long, however compared to the Nosler spitzer's their not, IMO.
Nosler OAL 1.374, Ogive to base .734 / Barnes OAL 1.389, Ogive to base .810. When seated to my max coal the Barnes are .560 into the case and the Nosler are .537.
With that said, I am pretty much of a novice at this, I've loaded a lot of pistol 25 yrs. ago and this is my first year hunting deer. I'm playing with these 180's because the hunt club I've joined has the possibilities of 400 - 600 yd (or better) shots and I wanted a bullet that will have enough energy that far out to anchor the animal.

Well, like I said I'm new at this. I'll play around with some loads and seating and post back.

Thanks for the advice and the great info on this site.
bshaw

Those ballistic tips will be a heck of a lot better deer bullet in the 308 for long range shooting than will the tsx. They will fly flatter and open up at the slow speeds you will be doing at 400-600 yds. At 350yds a tsx will probably be under 2000 fps and that gets to be marginal teritory for consistant opening of a barnes bullet.
I love the tsx but it's designed for higher speed shooting than the 308 at 4-600 yds.

For that matter I would be looking at 150-165 ballistic tips so you still have some speed out there at that range. (for deer)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.