Barnes Triple Shocks

Ian M

We shot the 168 Triple Shocks the other day so my friend could hunt cow elk with them in his .308 rifle. We shot in fifty yard increments out to 350 yards, then went in 25 yard increments all the way to 625 yards. Results - these are very accurate bullets in his Mike Rock barreled rifle. Shot 3-shot groups and did a lot of moving to cover all 17 firing locations (counting 100 yards).
Some of the better 3-shot groups were:
1.75" @ 400 yards, 2.25" @ 475 yards, and an amazing 1,5" @ 625 yards. Virtually all of the groups measured around 1/2 moa, some beat it by a bunch, only a couple went over 1 moa (easy to do with wind).
Should be interesting if he gets a poke at a cow elk next week.
He has shot the XLC's quite a lot and he is switching.

Ian, I too have found great accuracy with the TSX. I will use them to hunt mule deer this year, and am pretty excited!!
Thanks for the info..sakofan..
grin.gif

How do you think these bullets will perform on mule deer at 400 yards, from a 300 WSM?

I've never been into long range before, but I found a spot where i need to make a 400 yard shot.

I intend to work up a good load with a good bullet, and spend next year practicing until I can do it correctly, so I'm ready for the 2004 season.

The word is getting out that these are very accurate shooting bullets. I believe that they would be excellent for mulies at 400 or even quite a bit farther from your WSM. We are killing mule deer does out to 550 and longer with no problems using Barnes, Interbonds and Nosler match bullets.

Looks like the new Triple Shocks are flying flatter than the Nosler Comp Supreme, we just did drop tests out to 625 yards and 700 in two different rifles. The Barnes bullet is dropping 83 inches at 600 and the Comp. Supreme is dropping 97. The Barnes start out faster, just under 2900 fps vs 2750 for the match bullets.

Gatgehouse,
Welcome to long range hunting, there are several Canadians on this site. You have come to a great place to share and gain knowledge. Long range hunting can be as challenging or easy as you wish to make it, depends on what "long" is. My personal confident hunting distance is in the mid-500 to 650 range, with my .308 rifles.

Check the Basics and you will find a lot of great info on getting into shooting long and refining your ability and equipment.
Bottom line is - do not be afraid to ask these guys, there is going to be someone who can help you out and they will.

Ian

Thanks for the welcome.

I've never considered myself as a long range shooter- I'm competent to about 300 yards if I have a good rest.

I have very little need for long range hunting, and I admit I have been bias against long range hunters until I started to really look at the whole picture.

Most of the long range hunters I've run into are those that hold high on an animal at 500 yards and hope that they might hit it...

I have a feeling that most of the people on this site have different methods. I think that anyone can do anything PROPERLY if they teach themselves to do it..

I want to learn to make a proper, excellent shot at 400 yards with my 300WSM or my 7RM (sporter rifles, slightly tuned up)

If and when I get into longer ranges, I'll get a better set up, but if I can't do it with one of these rifles,I won't do it for now.
wink.gif

I have seen factory rifles shoot lethal sized groups out to 600 yards with factory ammo - the limiting factor is almost always the shooter. Rifle make and caliber are not as big an issue as most people think. The '06 or .308 will do excellent jobs out to 800-1000 yards as far as accuracy goes.

We all have different long range aspirations and potentials. WIth the gear that I have, I will not try to kill a deer past 600-650 yards, I have found that distance is a hell of a challenge. 500 - 550 yards has become very doable, we made several kills in that range in the last week.

There are lots of fellows who can kill much farther out, that is their game and I respect them for their dedication and ability.

Here are some reflections that you might consider. Long range hunting and shooting is a different sport, requires a different mind-set than hunting within a 250-300 yard circle.

First, unless you have a photographic memory you have to accept that note-keeping is a major part of the game. Just too much data involved.
Second, you must have an adequate scope - adequate pretty much means reliable turrets as much as crystal-clear optics.
Third, you need a partner since the military shooter-spotter system is the basis of successful shooting.
Fourth, you need a good, safe location to shoot - that can be a pasture with a hill or ridge for a backstop or a formal range. Get some steel plates to shoot at, they are the best long range practice target and very saticefying to clang.
Last, you just plain need to get out there and pull the trigger a bunch - we average 2-3 times a week if possible. Today is Wed. and I have been shooting long two days this week - so far. Why shoot so much? Basic marksmanship skills need honing, plus you will confront the biggest challenge - the wind. Don't just shoot on "nice" days, shoot in ****** wind and you will learn much more.
Hope you try this game, it is very good for the soul.
wink.gif

Im a big fan of the barnes xxx bullets i was just wondering what kind of powder are you guys putting behind those bullets?

We worked up a load with Varget in the .308, found that you can use more powder and get slightly higher velocities than the blue coated bullets in this particular rifle. We used Win. or BHA brass and Win. primers, O.L. was 2.830". Seems since the XLC that Barnes bullet accuracy has jumped up a notch.

I shot some TSX's last Sat. Loaded some 168gr. with 78gr. RL22 for my .300WM I have found the opposite to be true for my Sako 75.
When I went to 79gr., accuracy dropped off from 78gr. about 1/2" The 78gr. seem to be about right. They shot right at 3/4-1/2 at best. I will try 78.5 this Sat.

Everybody I know is really trying to load them hot. I guess they feel the TSX can withstand more powder than a conventional bullet. Which it can. But, my Sako never liked hot loads. Less is more with that fickle b$&^h!!

Ive had great accuracy with all the Barnes line. From the "X" to the XLC, and now to the XXX.

I'll try IMR4831 and H4350 Sat. Good powders for SMK's.

The Barnes have a strange relationship to SMK's. Any SMK load that shoots great in my Sako, will transfer over to the "X''s to the brand powder and grain.

I realize that they are similar in design but, I have not had that happen with anything else..sakofan..

I have a 300 wsm in a 24" barrel and would love to get so info on barnes xxx results from both 180gr and the 168 gr, witch do you guys prefer? to me the 180 always seem to out preform the 168's at longer ranges????

No on the IMR4831 and H4350 shot OK.

But,78.5gr.RL22,168gr.TSX shot real nice today!! I guess they shot about 1/2", for a 5 shot group @ 100yds.

But, the 175gr. SMK's shot better.
grin.gif
..as always..sakofan..

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.