Barnes or Hornady

74sharps

Considering copper bullets for a 270 Win. How does the 130 gr GMX from Hornady compare to a 129 gr Barnes TTSX of the same weight, in accuracy and performance on game? Hammers are a little above my pay grade.

I have barnes TTSX 168 in 3006 and 300 win mag and 165 GMX in the same caliber ,and for me GMX is winner in every category.
GMX is better killer (with barnes is need tracking) and more reliable opening,precision is good with both and to me gmx is more consistant bullet,and with barnes is needed more cleaning.

I agree the Hammers are pricey. But if load development consists of 8-12 shots, that's not bad. I only use them to hunt and check zero before and during the season. So once a load is developed I may shoot 4-6 bullets a year. I practice with other guns using different bullets. The way I look at it the bullets are the cheapest part of the game. 50K truck, fuel, hotels, licenses etc. A dollar a bullet isn't bad.

I agree Beeman. The bullet is actually the least expensive part of the hunt, but it is the most important. If the bullet fails, your hunt is ruined by a wounded and possibly lost animal. Don't try to save a dollar on bullets, they should be your priority when thinking about the hunt.
I personally use Barnes TTSX bullets exclusively (.270. 30/06, and .340 Weatherby). I have never tried the Hornady. I didn't need to with the accuracy and results I get from the Barnes.

I currently use Barnes. This 270 has a short barrel, and I noticed that the GMX was showing more velocity than it's Barnes counterpart. Just looking to get as much as possible from a 20" barrel. Curious as to what to expect from the GMX. As of right now,
it doesn't seem very popular.

It's my understanding, that the GMX's require a little more velocity for complete expansion....I may be wrong. Plus......we've had excellent results with Barnes bullets since the early '90's!
My daughter is running 140 TSX's in her .270 Win. I elected to use those as the rifle would be use for antelope up through elk. That bullet had a little higher BC, and greater weight for the elk and maybe a moose. In retrospect, we may drop down to the 129 TTSX. memtb

Been researching bullets and loads for this rifle. One article states that the 129 ttx will almost do as well on medium game as the 150 gr Partition. The Barnes with it's retaining weight, speed, and expansion does a fantastic job for a lighter bullet. Now that is for within 250 yds. That would work well in my rifle, because 200 yds is a long shot in the area hunted.

I've used a few different Barnes. One of my favorite hunting bullets for normal ranges. I've never used the Hornady so I can't compare. If they work better than the Barnes its a real winner.

If I could only run one brand of bullet, I think I'd run swift's, either the sciroccos or a-frame. Course, then I'd eliminate hunting in California, but I have no desire to go there. Spent some time there while in the military, and seen all I want. If I had to use mono's, well, I've killed alot of deer with Barnes muzzleloader bullets. They've never ever failed me. My lever action 338 is liking the 198 grain sledgehammers tho, and hopefully, this fall I'll see what they do on deer.

LVJ76,
Didn't mean to let you hanging. No I don't have to use monos. However the advantage to them is the ability to use a lighter, faster bullet that will travel with less trajectory and loose less weight upon impact. Hence a bullet that should penetrate better, and expand and create lethal interior tissue damage for a quick, humane death of the quarry. This is my view of why to use mono bullets, not saying it's right or wrong.