Barnes LRX

Brave Echo Niner

Hi All,

I am currently reviewing what I am using for hunting and was hoping people might have experience of the LRX at extended range on here.
As I am in the UK we are shooting Roe and Red deer at ranges generally up to 350M but sometimes have need to extend further to 500M ish.
I use a .300 WSM for my long range work and currently use 150 Grain TSX going 3150FPS ish, however I am wondering for the 350+ if a 175 Grain LRX would be a better choice due to its better BC and lower expansion threshold.
I have found with the TTSX that it expands reliably at 2200+ rather than the 1800 Barnes state, hence limiting range somewhat.

My question Is this, what velocity are people finding that the LRX expands to in real world terms, is it 1600 FPS as Barnes state or like the TTSX is the real world expansion velocity higher than what is stated?

Hope this makes sense?

Kind regards,

Ben

I shoot the Barnes 6.5 127gr LRX in my Tikka 6.5x55 & Savage 260 Rem. Since most all my shots are under 200 yds/m, impact velocity would be high. At least 2400 fps, I would guess. . My muzzle velocity out of both rifles is just slightly over 2900 feet per second. Used on deer & elk they perform perfectly. Have used the 120gr TSX/TTSX in the past with the exact same results . Wish I could give you more info on impact velocity at longer range. I have seen no advantage using the LRX instead of the TSX/TTSX as far as bring game down. I usually always get complete penetration .

If you don't get the answers you seek, there's an option.....though not ideal with the component shortage/pricing and the fact that this method is not a perfect replication of performance on game.

Load the LRX's "down" to your expected velocity "worst case scenario" and shoot them through gallon, plastic jugs of water, lined-up. I would have no less than 9 in the line .....if it were me! It may not be a perfect replication.....but, will give some idea of their performance! memtb

Yep I have had great success with TTSX and TSXs inside 300M they're my go to bullet out of anything for it! Its more the 400-500 and beyond span that's the slight question! I have no doubt I can put the bullet in the right place at that range, I would just like to know the bullet will do its part!

I have considered loading them down, only issue is component availability.
Y'all seem to be buying all the bits over your side of the pond, so we're down to the last of the stock of what we can get hold of!
I can only find one 50 round box of 175 LRXs for sale in the whole country so loading some of those at low velocity plus the amount for load development would burn most of them!
Hence hoping to find a short cut!

If necessary I will be buying some and downloading them in my .308 as you say.
I will definitely share the results if I reach that point though!

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.