Barnes LRX/TTSX Success and Failure...

I have talked to two guys about building rifles who hunt africa regularly and their PH's both started recommending Accubonds over TTSX because their loosing more game, though that was interesting.
Barnes in a 375 and larger are a much different animal that the lighter cals, though you hit an animal with a 520 gr solid lead bullet out of a 45-70 vs a Barnes and the lead will scare you what you'll shoot through!
Did they have any thoughts on the VLD type of was it strictly AB vs TSX?

I've taken over 30 animals with some form of Barnes x bullets over the past 15 years. I have recovered only two bullets. One on a large blacktail shot head on about 40 yds- the bullet was recovered against the far hip bone. perfect 4 petal mushroom with 100 % weight retention. this was a 140 gr tsx from a 284 win at 3000 fps. the second recovered bullet was on a 6x6 wounded bull elk. steep downhill 200 yd shot from behind. Bullet entered just in front of the near hip, nicked the spine and lodged in the far shoulder. The bullet was a 168 ttsx at 3100 fps form a 300 WSM. the recovered bullet was missing the blue tip but otherwise showed little damage. I think when it nicked the spine, the bullet traveled the rest of the way backwards. The bull was not dead when we got to the scene so a quick finishing shot was necessary. This was the only bullet that failed to expand and produce a 3 to 5" wound channel from start to finish. On many animals I've found a 4 petal shaped hole on the hide where the bullet exited. I find that Barnes bullets do enough damage to put animals down, but do not grenade like Noslers (partitions included) leaving a ton of bloodshot meat. Cabelasken

Using 62gr TSX in my 5.56. My girlfriend took a 230lb boar with a single shot dropping him. I was impressed! I also shot an aoudad with two, both stopped under the hide, which is problematic with no blood to trail but luckily the area was pretty open and he went down in sight!

I need to see if the heavier 70gr has better penetration! I'm happy with them for the caliber, gives 5.56 some added punch. With that Hammers or bonded lead cores get the nod in my bigger guns

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.