Barnes LRX success...

Great buck and I've had similar success with the LRX's.

I've been hunting with the 127 LRX in my 6.5-284 since they came out. I've shot about 10 deer and numerous hogs with this bullet and they have all been DRT, high shoulder for deer and shoulder/head for hogs. Like you, most of my shots range from 100-300 yards here in the SE. I can't think of a better bullet for those ranges.

I also agree that at extended ranges (500 plus), I worry about having enough velocity to open them up, effectively. Therefore, I have a great load with the 140 VLD. The great thing is that the 127 LRX running at 3150 and the 140 VLD running at 2950 have almost the exact same POI at 100 yards. Dope out to 500 is so close I don't worry about the difference, and set up my turrets for long range with the VLD, should the opportunity arise.

127 LRX, 3150 fps, drop at 500 yards = 2.2 Mils
140 VLD, 2950 fps, drop at 500 yards = 2.3 Mils

(windage not withstanding)

The best of both worlds is nice and I've had success with both types of bullets. In the proper circumstances both types of bullets shine.

Brother & I been shooting the 168 LRX bullets through our Lazzeroni 7mm's this past fall.. we've had excellent performance out of them close and far. I killed a great 6x7 elk a touch over 700 yards using these bullets. Impact velocity should have been 2000-2040fps (+/-) and one bullet WAS recovered stuck in the offside skin in a handful of pedals & broken bone fragments... two other bullets shot at the same distance were pass-thrus (missed bones I guess)

image.jpg

If a guy punches numbers using this LRX @ 3200fps vs a 180 Berger @ typical 2900-3000 speeds a Rem Mag provides... the LRX basically mirrors the ballistics and downrange velocities the Berger does. To me, in a hunting rifle, THAT plus the added close-range comfort (I feel anyway vs Berger) is why WE exclusively switched. Through a RUM, in my opinion, thinking "hunting" in every angle and at any distance to 1000 say, I think the LRX makes better sense. It's a best of both worlds bullet, near or far... reliably.

Plus, the LRX (in RUM or otherwise) won't rear jacket failures from the velocity like the Berger Hunting's do. Again, in my opinion eliminates that bug in the back of a guys head worrying about reliability.. I lost that confidence in the Bergers I was using... came a point where at 3200+ I would see one in three reach my targets (due to jacket failure) I can't have that when I'm on a mountain someplace!

LRX is a wicked bullet in a barrel matched to the capacity cases like RUM's & such.. I personally don't think smaller capacity cases like a Rem Mag can push the heaviest LRX to potential, but in the cases like RUM and Lazzeroni n all, they're "the" bullet-- imo

Man that is a sweet buck, very well done.

Thanks for reporting the performance as well, it never hurts to have additional information.

t

Great buck and I've had similar success with the LRX's.

I've been hunting with the 127 LRX in my 6.5-284 since they came out. I've shot about 10 deer and numerous hogs with this bullet and they have all been DRT, high shoulder for deer and shoulder/head for hogs. Like you, most of my shots range from 100-300 yards here in the SE. I can't think of a better bullet for those ranges.

I also agree that at extended ranges (500 plus), I worry about having enough velocity to open them up, effectively. Therefore, I have a great load with the 140 VLD. The great thing is that the 127 LRX running at 3150 and the 140 VLD running at 2950 have almost the exact same POI at 100 yards. Dope out to 500 is so close I don't worry about the difference, and set up my turrets for long range with the VLD, should the opportunity arise.

127 LRX, 3150 fps, drop at 500 yards = 2.2 Mils
140 VLD, 2950 fps, drop at 500 yards = 2.3 Mils

(windage not withstanding)

The best of both worlds is nice and I've had success with both types of bullets. In the proper circumstances both types of bullets shine.

I too plan on primarily hunting with the 127gr LRX as I would like to avoid lead if possible. I am still undecided as to what 140 weight bullet i will use for the rest. I will be loading up some 140 bergers soon, but would like to try the accubond as well. Currently, I am running the 127s to 3250 and they are shooting decent groups well under .5 MOA. Whats not to like :D

My 50% subjective and 50% objective opinions. :)

The most trustable bullet in radius of 4-500 yards on the far side and close to very
personal, is the Barns x derivatives unleaded bullets. Even for large dangerous bears etc.

The NAB follows in preference, I really like the 200 gr in my 300 rum

For long range work or just anything over 500 yards the Berger is hard to beat. Regardless of what caliber you're using. Not only because of its external ballistics superiority but its terminal ballistics at long ranges. It does great!

If using 338 Edge I like the the 300 gr SMK, OTM at any distance up to abilities.

If memory serves me right, my son shot an antelope at 128 yards with the 300 gr.
SMK. Awesome kill. So suffering, quarter size exit hole and no meat damage. I
loved it.

My youngest son shot an antelope at 350 yards with a 210 gr Berger, and the opposite side front leg was destroyed... not good ... Same bullet did an awesome
job on a bull elk of my middle son's friend at 950 yards... Reason for my conclusions... Not to mention a nice buck shot by my youngest at 380 with 210 Berger out of a RUM... too much damage for my taste but the same bullet at
487 yards on a small doe performed admirably. Reason for my statement of 500
yards or longer...

There is not such a thing as one magic bullet to do it all; but if I was only allowed use one type and brand of bullet for all types of hunting it would probably be a Barns bullet on everything from 243 Winch. to 338/300 RUM. Long range would be somewhat handicapped but still wouldn't like good shot to be aiming at me at 700
yards.

There is a thread from Broz on long range hunting with Berger will undoubtedly
make a believer out of any hunter for the Berger bullets at long range!

:) :) :)

Eaglet,

I really appreciate what you just said, no BS, now supporter ranting. I couldn't have said it any better & several of our peer members have been saying it for a long time. There is no such thing as a magic bullet, some work good up close & some work good out far. Choose your bullet for what you intend to harvest & at which range you intend to harvest it.

Well said my friend,

t

Thanks Broz, I will give the 180's a try. I remember seeing a company that would sell just a few bullets for testing, going to try and look them up. I'm working on the 190's and 210's in my 300WM based on the results you posted with the heavier bullets in that caliber.
Bulletproof samples does this, you can get them from Brownells

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.